Low specific gravity to new batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low specific gravity to new batteries

Hi i have a problem with my 6 opzs 2v batteries 500ah. i bought them two months ago. I took a specific gravity reading after giving them a full charge and it showed 1.21 on the hydrometer but the SG of these batteries must be 1.24kg/l.The voltage at full charging is 12.7.I make one time equalization this period for two hours to 15v but after that i measured SG 1.22 and the next days went again to 1.21-1.215.My charge contoller is Tracer 4210 RN 40A.what can i do?

Are you using a temperature compensated hydrometer to measure SG?
    Does your Tracer include temperature compensation of charging voltages?
    The proper procedure for equalization or for commissioning charge of new batteries is usually specified by the manufacturer. In any case, the special charging is usually done (while monitoring current and cell temperature) until the SG stops rising. Until that point you cannot be sure that the charging process is complete.

Two hours may be long enough to equalize a battery bank which is already fully charged. It is not enough for initial full charging.
    Last edited by inetdog; 10-15-2016, 04:28 AM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Simple you cannot EQ batteries from solar. Not enough hours in a solar day, Not only that you do not have enough panel wattage. . It takes a properly sized Generator with properly sized charger. With 500 AH requires a 60 to 80 amps of charge current. I also know you do not have enough panel wattage to even charge up your batteries in the first place. How do I know that? Real darn simple your controller ratted you out and told me himself personally face-to-face.

So get you a properly sized generator, properly sized charger, a new 60 to 80 amps controller, and enough panel wattage to charge your battery with 60 to 80 amps. Do that and your problem is solved. Otherwise your batteries will be boat anchors very soon from your abuse and neglect. .

Remember this. Every off-grid solar systems requires a Generator and AC Charger. That was your second big mistake.
      Last edited by Sunking; 10-15-2016, 11:50 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• PETROS1308
        PETROS1308 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 2x240wp solar panels.I live in Grecee so this period i have at least 5-6 hours day full shining.i spend maximum 1kwh per day (600wh day and 400wh night).My charge controller show me at 12.00 am full charge.(green led indigator flashing).If this time i turn off the inverter,the charge controller cut off charging and show me that baterirs are full charged.So i can't understand the problem

I just purchased a pair of brand new batteries and attached to a smart charger. it took 18hrs to initialize them. You can not do this with solar.

Comment

Working...
      X