Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Logan5
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2013

55 watts is 1/3 of the older TV. Smaller battery bigger picture. if your going to do this you need the most efficient TV display possible, before you proceed any further, you must decide if it is worth investing in a battery 2/3rds bigger to power an older inefficient TV/display. I say not, so now consider using your 60" or purchasing a more convenient size that follows a similar efficiency line. Again you can not tell how many watts a Device actually uses from the label on the back of the device or power brick. Most device actually consume much less than is listed. The actual number listed is the MAX amps/volts a device may draw, usually only for a few seconds at cold start up. For this project I recommend a 19volt 42" TV and 24 volt battery bank with a 24v to 19v step down converter. No inverter = smaller battery. You should invest in a DC watt meter. it uses standard 2.5/5.5mm DC plugs and I used mine in Best Buy to check each TV's draw before I purchased. one required a special DC plug I was unable to test. Do not try to do this with a AC powered TV and inverter. Great project, many ways to do it, the end result is up to you.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JDStud6

Hey that looks interesting. If it's 1500 watts and I need 200 watts to run something, would that mean I could run it for 7.5 hours?

JD
      No. What they are advertising is incorrect. There is a 1500 watt inverter in that thing but the batteries may not even last a hour at that wattage.

Find out what the actual battery Ah rating is and I bet it will be around that 100Ah you already have.
      Last edited by SunEagle; 10-12-2016, 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• JDStud6
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Logan5
        55 watts is 1/3 of the older TV. Smaller battery bigger picture. if your going to do this you need the most efficient TV display possible, before you proceed any further, you must decide if it is worth investing in a battery 2/3rds bigger to power an older inefficient TV/display. I say not, so now consider using your 60" or purchasing a more convenient size that follows a similar efficiency line. Again you can not tell how many watts a Device actually uses from the label on the back of the device or power brick. Most device actually consume much less than is listed. The actual number listed is the MAX amps/volts a device may draw, usually only for a few seconds at cold start up. For this project I recommend a 19volt 42" TV and 24 volt battery bank with a 24v to 19v step down converter. No inverter = smaller battery. You should invest in a DC watt meter. it uses standard 2.5/5.5mm DC plugs and I used mine in Best Buy to check each TV's draw before I purchased. one required a special DC plug I was unable to test. Do not try to do this with a AC powered TV and inverter. Great project, many ways to do it, the end result is up to you.

I went to costco last night to look around and found a 39" vizio that said it only took 30 watts. I would never have guessed they were that much lower now!!

JD

Comment

• Logan5
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

If you get a 19VDC unit with a brick, you can build a very efficient inverter-less system. 30 watt load is likely MAX, I'll bet you a dollar it's actual will be even lower. Therefore reducing the size of your lead acid battery. Your on a better track now. good luck,,

Comment

Working...