How much solar per battery for solar generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much solar per battery for solar generators

I would like to build a small solar "Generator" that would fit most of its components in a battery box, cooler, or toolbox. I already have some different size Panels and a few different types of battery's. Would like to know what the best size panel and battery combo for a system that would charge phones, run a laptop for 4 hours or so and maybe a small car stereo hooked to 2 x 6.5 speakers. I want to get as much amps per hour without sacrificing too much portability (needs to be something one person could carry and setup. I would like to make it as simple and as cheaply as possible with the idea that I may make a few more for friends and family that would be interested. I know some things would be a matter of opinion or preference so would just like to get a few ideas. Thank you.

A small portable generator, that fits in a box. Not enough power for any necessities instead enough power to run a cellphone, laptop and ghetto box for 4 hours. It needs to be simple and inexpensive?

I would think start looking at photovoltaic panels that can fit inside your small portable box.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

A small portable system would probably consist of a 100 to 120 watts of panels, 55 to 65Ah 12volt battery, 15Amp pwm CC & 250 watt inverter.

Something like in the attached pictures although that panel is only an 80 watt (2 x 40watt folding).

Comment

You are wasting your time and more importantly money. Unless you intend to only charge cell phones and tablets, you will not be happy with what you learn. Save yourself $400 and listen.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Raven162 View Post
          I would like to build a small solar "Generator" that would fit most of its components in a battery box, cooler, or toolbox. I already have some different size Panels and a few different types of battery's. Would like to know what the best size panel and battery combo for a system that would charge phones, run a laptop for 4 hours or so and maybe a small car stereo hooked to 2 x 6.5 speakers. I want to get as much amps per hour without sacrificing too much portability (needs to be something one person could carry and setup. I would like to make it as simple and as cheaply as possible with the idea that I may make a few more for friends and family that would be interested. I know some things would be a matter of opinion or preference so would just like to get a few ideas. Thank you.
          If weight is important to you, go LiFePO4.
          For charge controller, go with a Genasun MPPT converter sized appropriately. You will probably need a custom voltage.
          For solar, the PhotoFlex panel is very lightweight and fairly high power, but awkward and somewhat fragile. But if you don't mind the awkwardness they are great.

To estimate some loads - a typical laptop is 45 to 90 watts. Let's take 90 watts. So that's 360 watt-hours, or a 28 amp hour 12.8 volt LiFePO4 battery. Such a battery is about $300 from Batteryspace and weighs about 7 pounds.

I would then get adapters that would allow you to power your laptop directly from 12V. I'd also get an AC/DC charger to charge the battery pack without solar.
          Last edited by jflorey2; 10-05-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Both Sunking and jflorey2 are correct. You will end up spending hundreds of dollars and only have a small system that may or may not get you what you want to power your electronics. That system in my pictures cost me about $550 and can only safely deliver 200watt hours daily.

Comment

I am kind of looking for something similar for tailgating. I am hoping to power a 42" tv (170 watts) and maybe charge a phone or two. Do you think it's a waste of time to design such a system? I was hoping to maybe get a 100ah battery and appropriate panel to charge it via amazon. Although not sure if that will be enough to power the TV for long enough. I would need probably 5-7 hours of usage during a typical tailgate.

JD

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                Wy_White_Wolf commented
                Editing a comment
                7 hours is almost 1200WH. A 100AH battery only contains that if you use 100% of it which you can't. You'll need at least 4 of them. Then get a battery isolator and charge them from your vehicles alternator on the way to/from the party.

Originally posted by JDStud6 View Post
              I am kind of looking for something similar for tailgating. I am hoping to power a 42" tv (170 watts) and maybe charge a phone or two. Do you think it's a waste of time to design such a system? I was hoping to maybe get a 100ah battery and appropriate panel to charge it via amazon. Although not sure if that will be enough to power the TV for long enough. I would need probably 5-7 hours of usage during a typical tailgate.

JD
              WWW is correct. A 100Ah battery is too small to run that TV for 5-7 hours. My suggestion would be to use a small gen set (I have seen them at a lot of tail gate parties) or find a TV that uses less wattage.

By the time you purchase the 400Ah battery system, solar panels, charge controller and inverter to run that 42" TV you could probably get 50 yard line tickets for a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

WWW is correct. A 100Ah battery is too small to run that TV for 5-7 hours. My suggestion would be to use a small gen set (I have seen them at a lot of tail gate parties) or find a TV that uses less wattage.

By the time you purchase the 400Ah battery system, solar panels, charge controller and inverter to run that 42" TV you could probably get 50 yard line tickets for a few games.
                haha good point! I could pick up a generator for about $600 that would do it, but just trying to harness the (free) power of the sun if possible.

I figured the battery wouldn't be able to supply enough power, but if I had some panels maybe they would help power the TV and supplement the battery, if that makes sense. In my mind it does

JD

Comment

My 40" TV only uses about 55 watts. It operates on 19volts and requires a 3.94 step down converter, but after it's powered up only consumes about 55 watts, and even less with the back light turned down. Your 42" consumes more than 3X? Have you actually measured the wattage? or going by the power supply listing?

Comment

haha good point! I could pick up a generator for about $600 that would do it, but just trying to harness the (free) power of the sun if possible.

I figured the battery wouldn't be able to supply enough power, but if I had some panels maybe they would help power the TV and supplement the battery, if that makes sense. In my mind it does

JD
                    Well having enough panels to charge the battery and run a load would be dependent on the time of year, time of day, amount of good sunlight and the ability to mount the panels so they do not get blocked by anything that could shade them even for a couple of minutes.

You are still talking about a big investment just to power a TV for tailgating.

Comment

I am kind of looking for something similar for tailgating. I am hoping to power a 42" tv (170 watts) and maybe charge a phone or two. Do you think it's a waste of time to design such a system?
                      Absolute waste of time and money. Get a properly sized battery and use the vehicle alternator will charge the battery. Your vehicle alternator can generate more power in 15 minutes than panels can generate in a day. So why spend money on something that does nothing?
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

I own 2 different battery packs with built in 120 vac inverters: The Xantrex Powerpack 1500 may meet your need, depends on your budget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O294ZU...=I9E3Y2EUD755K It has a power plug for the modern car power outlet.
                        It has a big brother, that can use solar, but it will exceed your budget Xantrex PowerHub 1800.

****My comment is intended for the OP, (Raven162): I run a laptop (~65 watts) and 2 externally powered speakers for 6 hours at a time on these battery packs at night, then let the solar pv electrical system charge them back up in the daytime while I am at work. The battery in this unit is listed as about 51 amp-hrs.
                        Last edited by citabria; 10-13-2016, 10:09 AM. Reason: for Raven162

Comment

Originally posted by Logan5 View Post
                          My 40" TV only uses about 55 watts. It operates on 19volts and requires a 3.94 step down converter, but after it's powered up only consumes about 55 watts, and even less with the back light turned down. Your 42" consumes more than 3X? Have you actually measured the wattage? or going by the power supply listing?
                          It's an older tv we got from my mother in law....I looked last night and on the back it says 169W

My newer 60" says 155

JD

Comment

Originally posted by citabria View Post
                            I own 2 different battery packs with built in 120 vac inverters: The Xantrex Powerpack 1500 may meet your need, depends on your budget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O294ZU...=I9E3Y2EUD755K It has a power plug for the modern car power outlet.
                            It has a big brother, that can use solar, but it will exceed your budget Xantrex PowerHub 1800.

Hey that looks interesting. If it's 1500 watts and I need 200 watts to run something, would that mean I could run it for 7.5 hours?

JD

Comment

Working...
                            X