X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gazzzzaau
    • Sep 2016

Small off grid system

Hi guys I'm new to this so I'm looking for advice
    I have a small resort running 30 led lights in all the bungalows and around 20 led lights in the resturant and bar/kitchen also all the bungalows have small rechargeable fan that run on 240 and 12 volt
    No the questions
    I have 2x 250 watt 24 volt solar panels and one 500 watt 24 volt wind turbine
    I have a hybrid controler
    4 deep cycle 125 ah solar battery's and a high quality 3000 watt sign wave inverter
    So my system is 24volt
    And my output is 240 volts
    Is this system good enough to run my lights up until 10pm - 12 pm and the rechargeable fans all night
    I am new to all this solar stuff so I'm learning
    Any input you guys can give me would be a great help

Thank you
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello gazzzzaau and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Without knowing the how many watt hours those LED lights and fans actually draw in a day there is no way we could say if you have enough panel wattage or battery to run them as long as you do.You have also not told us what type of charge controller you have except that it is a hybrid.

Based on just 500 watts of panels and a 24volt 250Ah battery system I would say some if not all of the bungalows will be in the dark and without fans some time during the night.

If you have grid power then my suggestion is to stay on that our you will lose your guests.

Comment

• gazzzzaau
      • Sep 2016

Thank you for getting back to me
      I'm currently in Australia so I can't give you any more info until I'm back at the resort end of this month
      I will post all the light info as soon as I'm back and the controler
      I change all my other lights from normal fluro light to led tube lights
      Each bungalow had 2 led down lights one in bedroom one in bathroom and one led tube light out the front of each bungalow
      We are unable to run normal power as we are on a island with no access to outside power
      We normally use a generator only running from 2pm until 10pm
      Our fridges and freezers are gas and 240 volt but we only run them on gas
      So our system will mainly be for running lights
      The fans would be great but we can use the generator to charge both the fans and battery's from 2pm to 10pm
      Thanks again
      Gary

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I understand not having grid power and not wanting to run the generator as much as you are now.

That 24v 250Ah battery system has a full rating of 6000 watt hour ( 24v x 250Ah = 6000 wh). You can safely get about 1500 watt hours out of it daily but I do not believe that will be enough to run 50 of those LED lights and X # of fans.

Also I am not sure what that 500 watt wind turbine will get you but it might help during the night time if you get enough wind being on an island.

You also have to figure in the distance between the bungalows and battery system which will make the wires very big to reduce the voltage drop. You might need to have a solar / battery system for each bungalow or maybe a couple if they are close together. That will increase the cost but also improve the chances of having enough battery power to run the LED's and fans.

Comment

• gazzzzaau
          • Sep 2016

Thanks for getting back to me
          I'm also Running a 3 kva continuous inverter as I don't want to change wiring system
          I do realise if I run dc I need very large copper and the distance to all the bungalows would make it well out of the price range
          I also have a charge master 80 amp 24volt auto charger I was going to also connect to the system for when we do start the generator
          My place is very rustic and we try to run as much green as we can
          All ready running solar powered lights outside for walk ways
          Solar powered water pump to fill the tanks
          Anyhow we will keep unpdating as we go
          Oh the wind generator is German made 3 phase ac 24 volt
          All my lights are ac they all have the small transformers the led tubes are also 240 with everything built in the tube
          Thanks
          Gary

Comment

Working...