Grounding/fusing/GFIing for stationary Panel/Controller/Inverter powering a pool pump

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dontreignoorme
    • Sep 2016

Grounding/fusing/GFIing for stationary Panel/Controller/Inverter powering a pool pump

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it, so sorry for the presumably repetitive post.

Mostly need to pin down grounding, and whether need to fuse and/or GFI anything, though any any any other advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm setting up a stationary, off-grid solar rig to power a pump for a small above ground pool.

I'm thinking:
    My questions:
    1. Need to ground panel?
    2. Need to ground battery?
    3. Need to ground inverter?
    4. If need to ground multiple of those, ground separately, or ground connected somehow?
    5. Size grounding rod needed? These ones sufficient or need full 'house sized'?
    6. Need to fuse? If so, at which point(s?) in the system?
    7. Need to GFI? If so, where/how?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice,

Cheers,
    Ben
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I can't tell how many watts that pump needs to start and run but I doubt 100 watts is enough.

Also what is the battery spec? "1 deep cycle sealed battery" means nothing to me.

Also that 2000 watt PSW inverter may quickly drain a battery that is too small.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Why not go with a DC pump direct off the solar panel. 100W is not much of a panel for a pool pump & filter. 1/4 hp is about 350w (counting internal losses)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Answers to questions 1 to 8

No, nothing is required or needed except a couple of fuses. All you need is two fuses mounted directly on the battery Term Post. A 10- amp fuse on the wire going to the Charge Controller, and a 100 Amp fuse on the wire going to the Inverter. Anythingg else is a waste of time and money. This is what you want.

Last edited by Sunking; 09-20-2016, 08:02 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...