Does my system make sense? (3 weeks new to Solar please advice :-)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apollo59
    • Aug 2016

Does my system make sense? (3 weeks new to Solar please advice :-)

Basic minimal needs: 1.5 Kw per day (150 watts approximately), (modem/router/8 camera security system, monitor) at minimum.
    I inherited eight 100 watts renogy solar panels, a renogy mppt charger/controller 20/40 amps and a 300 watts pure sine inverter. I wouldn't mind getting a larger inverter down the road to expand and connect a small refrigerator and a microwave for occasional use but its not necessary now as long as I meet my minimum requirements.
    I need to save money, I'm not looking for long run savings, I'm looking for a present sufficient system with the maximum budget savings. I'm split between 12 or 6 volts, If I need 4 12V batteries, I don't mind going to 4 6v golf cart batteries, I find locally 8V batteries 165 ah (25 hr rating), 6V 215 ah (20 hr rating), and 12V 145ah for about the same price around 100 also, trojan t875 8v 295ah I can get for about the same (I think in that case 3 batteries will solve my 2 day reserve power having max amps.
    Average sunshine, 4.5 hrs. Need to have at least 2 days capacity possibly 4 before sunshine but not necessary.

I am thinking 24V system since my run from panels to controller/breaker box around 50-60' feet max.
    Running double #12 multi-srand wire (adding up to around 9 -10 gauge total each leg encapsulated in a 1/2" gray pipe (is the wire size sufficient??)
    #4 gauge wire I have for batteries terminal interconnection
    and ?? gauge wire for my ground from the panels to earth? (does it have to be bare solid or can I get away by adding multistanded 12 Gauge (double or tripple?). My aim is to make a functional inexpensive system that is perfectly safe from all aspects.
    If you have an idea of breaker size for main runs, I will welcome your inputs. So far I think of putting a 200amp breaker to positive battery pole, and breakers on the positive of the panels (size?) and I will make a breaker bank (car type fuses for all my LED lights) each line protected not sure on this yet or if I should get proper breaker boxes they sell).

8 12V x 100W solar panels in 2 groups series/parallel configuration
    4 6V 215 ah deep cycle golf cart batteries (or 4 12V 145ah?). I think I know the answer (still try to comprehend it from one of Sunking's posts the answer is 6 V remember, trying to save money now, not 2 years from now thanks for all your help guys!! Looking forward to your inputs. Let me know a minimal configuration to get the minimal job done, or, future expansion , possibility please recommend the ideal max size of inverter I can use (even if I have to add a couple of panels in the future, inverter will be used more during day / sunny hours than night. the night usage is my minimal 150wh max)

Trojan 8V 295 ah specifications:
    System Voltage
    8V 24V 48V Bulk Charge below
    9.88 29.64 59.28 Float Charge #'s below
    9.00 27.00 54.00 Equalize Charge below
    10.80 32.40 64.80

charge Controller specifications:
    Negative grounded
    Nominal System Voltage: 12V/24V Auto recognition
    Max. PV Input Power: 500W (12V), 1000W (24V)
    Rated Charge Current: 40A
    Rated Discharge Current: 20A
    Max. Solar Input Voltage: 100VDC
    Self-consumption: <10mA (24V)
    Maximum Battery Voltage: 32V
    Charge Circuit Voltage Drop: ≤0.26V
    Discharge Circuit Voltage Drop: ?0.15V
    Communication: TTL232 / 8 pin RJ45

Solar panel specifications:
    Maximum Power: 100W Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
    Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.9V Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.5V
    Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5.29A Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.75A
    Last edited by Apollo59; 08-28-2016, 11:51 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Panel wattage = 750 watts
    12 Volt Battey Capacity = 300 AH
    MPPT CHARGE CONTROLLER = 30 amps.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Apollo59
      Apollo59 commented
      Editing a comment
      To make sure I read you right, I will go with 24V system, I will use
      8 100 watts panels, and will use
      4 12V deep cycle batteries totalling 290 Amp/hrs, 2 strings, 2 batteries in each string 24V system.
      ??You mention 30 amp mppt controller is that a must or a minimum? will my 40amp mppt controller work?
      As far as my wiring sizes / doubling 12gauge does this make sense since I have it or is it a weird el jacko way common, I expected you to slap me around a bit
      My research shows me I need 10 gauge and double 12gauge is around 9 gauge and ok to use, (I haven't checked into code compliance yet, I will, just double-checking in case you run into this before as there is many ways to skin the cat, I just happened to have plenty of 12gauge I don't mind wasting.
      Thank you for your response Sunking!
      Last edited by Apollo59; 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Apollo if you are using 8 x 100 panels is going to require special attention in picking a MPPT Controller. You want to wire them up into 2 string of 4 in series. With 4 in series means the Voc is going to be 90 to 100 volts. Small MPPT controller often use lower Voc maximum Input like around 50 to 70 volts. You will need 1 of at least 100 volts.

As for the MINIMUM MPPT Controller you can use is 800 watts / 24 Volts Battery = 33.3 amps. You can use anything over 33 amps. What you have to look out for is making sure the Controller can accept at least 100 Voc from the panels. Once you get above about 40 amps MPPT Controllers, the Voc should be a comfortable 150 volts or more.

As for the battery, a 800 watt panel operating into a 24 volt battery would require a 300 to 350 AH battery would make a perfect match. It would power up to a 24 volt 2 Kw Inverter, and a 1Kw Inverter is the perfect size for that batttery
    Last edited by Sunking; 08-29-2016, 10:53 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...