Panel size to charge 420 AH FLA battery without any CC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maple flats
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Panel size to charge 420 AH FLA battery without any CC?

I have a sawmill that uses a 12 V 420 AH battery to start the motor. The mill frequently sets idle for long periods of time but I prefer not having to remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger to keep it charged. Someplace I've read that a solar panel can be connected directly to a battery without a charge controller. How does one calculate what panel to use? I would make a mount on the sunny side of the sawmill carriage and leave it there all the time. Please advise. The sunny side faces about 170 degrees south. Would I be better off using a CC? If yes, in a case like this will a PWM be a good choice, or should I still go MPPT?
    If going without a CC should I size it for 1 small panel in summer, til mid fall, then 2 small panels til mid spring in parallel?
    I am located on the 43th parallel in New York State.
    Last edited by maple flats; 08-23-2016, 07:20 AM.
    6,32 KW solar, net metered, maple syrup producer.
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

An inexpensive PWM charge controller would be recommended. It would give you a full bulk charge when needed, and absorb and float voltage while your battery sits idle. Even a small solar panel will put out full voltage (possibly up to 18 volts) and not limit voltage when your battery is full and only needs a float voltage around 12.8-13.6.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

All you need is a little battery maintainer panel in the 1.5 to 5w range to overcome the self discharge of the battery. They usually come with cigarette plugs so just wire up one to the battery and plug it in.No need for a larger panel or charge controller.

As far as your battery I Think you're mixing up CCA and AH. I've never seen a 420AH 12V battery but lots of smaller engines do have 420 CCA batteries.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Hey Flats, long time no hear. Hope all is well.

Ditto to both comments.

All you need is a 10 watt, 12 volt battery panel. All that means is the panel Voltage at max Power is around 16 to 18 volts. If just using a panel you will need to buy a diode to prevent the battery from back feeding the panel at night and thus discharging the battery.

But a cheap PWM controller no more than $15 is money well spent on top of a slightly larger panel like 20 watts. Even better any spare panel you have say 100 watts and a cheap 6 amp PWM controller.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

There are many brands of 3-10w dashboard PV panels that plug into the lighter socket to keep a car battery charged up. Many have a blocking diode on the cigar plug on the cord, so if you cut the plug off, you loose the diode.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...