Looking at adapting a small system to a less than ideal location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at adapting a small system to a less than ideal location

This will be my first solar set up and for us it is a must have since we are 13 miles off the grid which is what we wanted. We have a small trappers cabin that will need very limited power. We are located in the central UP of Michigan. We have 6 -12v LED lights that actually draw about 7 watts and see limited use. When temperatures are warm at night we run a small 12" fan that draws about 75 watts for about 7 hours, We would like to add a 22" TV someday just to catch the local news once in a while. That is the extent of the power demands for now. I have been using my generator to charge my 200ah battery, but I'm sick of that noise and want to use the generator only for emergencies.
    I am looking at a Renogy 400w system with a 40a mppt tracer controller. Eventually, I would like to set up a twin to this system allowing me some redundancy. With only about a grand in each set with the battery I feel the cost is minimal.
    One issue I have is the old cabin does not have much of a roof structure to be mounting the panels on it. Due to a tree line close to the cabin on the South side I will be forced to mount the panels on a pole probably 75 feet or more from the cabin. What gauge of wire do I need to run between the panels and the controller if I run the panels in a 12v configuration and need to cover that 75' or so. Or can I run 24v to lower my amps and will the tracer controller then charge my 12v @ 12v. You can bet I'll be tuning in a lot now that I'm close to pulling the triiger.
    Thanks
    Swamp

if the tracer controller really is a MPPT controller, make sure it can handle the Voc of 2 panels in series (I guess at 45 - 50VDC) In Winter that voltage will be higher, so the controller needs to survive 65 or 70VDC
    To figure the wire size, we need to know the Vmp and Imp of the panels
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Tracer has a few different 40 amp controllers. Some are 100 Voc. max and others are 150 Voc. max. In your case, having to send power a considerable distance you would be better off with one of the 150 Voc. models if you go with their brand of CC.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

First off let me thank you for the fast replies. According to Renogy the Tracer mppt that I'm looking at is rated for 100Voc so that should be OK. I decided to remedy the distance issue by mounting the panels on a taller pole which will be about 12'.A broom extension will make snow removal reasonably easy. I have some extra 5 well casing that will fit the bill nicely I think. At 12' my panels should get the exposure they need and I can keep them within 20' of the cabin thus limiting my resistance. I did see that Renogy has a 40A Commander that is rated for 150Voc that might suit my needs better and is only an extra $50 so I will be contacting them. I try to do things so that I get the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank, but I am not afraid to spend a little extra money to get better quality. It just seems that in today's world spending extra money seldom seems to pay off in extra quality. I am not firmly set on the Renogy system, but they seem to have a good reputation and the kit seems to fit my needs fairly well. Is there any other systems that one the more experienced members would recommend that maybe I am unaware of?
        Thanks Again,
        swamp
        Last edited by swamp; 08-11-2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

the longer the distance the run, the higher array voltage you will want. low voltage over long runs becomes useless. As far as spending more and getting only a lil more, I find when you bottom shop, you always get much less and end up spending much more. I have found in many cases just a few bucks more, makes all the difference.

Comment

So is Renogy considered bottom shopping? Anybody have better ideas for accomplishing what I need? I'm open to suggestions.
            swamp

Comment

I can not tell you that, but if you have to ask. I avoided this by finding the CC I no longer had any question about. I spent 5 times more than I was expected and have never regretted it. don't look at the price of the CC, look at the risk of a junk or inadequate CC on your heavy and expensive batteries.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't know what CC stands for. I assume it's the solar array.?
                swamp

Comment

CC=Charge controller, so sorry,

Comment

Renogy sells "kit packages" RV, 2 room cabin. They don't include batteries, because you can't ship half a ton of batteries efficiently with breakable panels.
                    Their "system" might work for a summer cabin, but fail you miserably in the winter. Oh, you want to pump water from a deep well? Nope, packaged kits are not the same as a properly engineered system.
                    Yes, it will run a fridge (for 30 minutes, then need 2 days to recharge)
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                    X