Best way to use "surplus" grid tie panels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tastewar
    For a single panel, my spec shows 37.6V open circuit. Would that be a problem for a converter with a 9-36V range?
    Yes it would. 37.6 volts might work, but in cold weather that voltage will be much higher. I would use a 36-72 volt converter in such a case. Better yet, a 20-72 volt converter.
    (The real range you want is from about 28 to 40 volts.)
    If so, would a diode in series do the trick?
    You'd need a lot of diodes and they would get very hot if you used them to drop much voltage at moderate currents.
    How would I go about shopping for a capacitor bank? I do understand what it would be used for, but searching on the term at digikey doesn't produce what I (think I) am looking for; and a quick Google shows yooge ones like you might see at a sub-station...
    Figure out your max voltage, then get a large screw terminal electrolytic at a voltage higher than your max.
    Last edited by jflorey2; 07-28-2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Since you are "tapping into" the damaged panel wiring, you could wire up to just 2 of the bypass diodes instead of all 3 to get
      a lower voltage that a $2 Eb*y converter can tolerate. It will be very educational, if you follow up on why some ideas don't
      function. I don't see a very large cap as very useful here, it would discharge in less than a second. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
        I don't see a very large cap as very useful here, it would discharge in less than a second. Bruce Roe
        Large caps allow transient loads on the outputs (fan starting up, incandescent light coming on) without collapsing the voltage.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
          Large caps allow transient loads on the outputs (fan starting up, incandescent light coming on) without collapsing the voltage.
          Yes they do, and might succeed turning on an incandescent light. I think calculations will show storing enough energy to get
          a motor running is entirely impractical.

Suppose you charge to 30V and allow 2 seconds at 10A to rev a motor with 3A run, dropping to 28V. The cap would need to
          be on the order of 10,000,000 mfd. Bruce Roe

Comment

• tastewar
            • Jul 2016

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

• Raul
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Taste war , I had your dilemma of using spare panels. I end up from time to time with various panel sizes and can't use them together because of differences . Went to my local scrap yard and bought 2 truck batteries £10 each and when they done I can sell them back for the same or wathever the price of lead at the time. I spent £20 more on 2 Chinese Controler and rigged to systems that provide all the outside lighting , front and back garden and few paving lights in the driveway. So far almost a year the batteries are still OK as the draw of few LEDs is about 1/10 of the capacity and the panels cover c/5 so still covers for short winter days. Total investment £40 .

Comment

• tastewar
                • Jul 2016

Cool idea. Thanks, Raul.

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
                  Suppose you charge to 30V and allow 2 seconds at 10A to rev a motor with 3A run, dropping to 28V. The cap would need to
                  be on the order of 10,000,000 mfd
                  Well, 2 farads. But I don't know of any motor that takes 3x power for a full 2 seconds. (Maybe a large A/C compressor, but you're not going to drive a ten ton central A/C with this system.) You size the cap for your load; for things like small motors and incandescent lamps, you can get a .25 farad 35 volt cap for about $20.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
                    Well, 2 farads. But I don't know of any motor that takes 3x power for a full 2 seconds. (Maybe a large A/C compressor, but you're not going to drive a ten ton central A/C with this system.) You size the cap for your load; for things like small motors and incandescent lamps, you can get a .25 farad 35 volt cap for about $20.
                    OK there is a price point, thanks; your situation may vary. Thats not high enough voltage to cover discussions above, and
                    0.25F won't spin up a big flywheel, so it would be easy to spend a lot more. But the results might justify it. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Problem with using caps for surge alleviation, you can only use the top 2-5% of the cap, after the voltage sags below the inverter DC cutoff, the cap is useless. And you need low impedance flat braid to get the most out of the cap.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...