Sunsaver + NEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunsaver + NEC

Just out of curiosity -- can you use something like a Sunsaver MPPT at home and still be NEC compliant? Would you have to mount it in some sort of enclosure for that to be the case?

The reason I'm curious is because I saw the application notes on the ProStar MPPT, and how it might require the "wire box" accessory to be able to be used in some places. (Originally the verbiage was in order for it to be NEC compliant, but they seem to have loosened the verbiage up.)

The Sunsaver is a quality solar battery charger for off grid systems. Depending on how you wire it and use it may require it to meet NEC code for your area. Unfortunately you will never be able to connect it to the grid without a lot more equipment to make sure it is a legal Hybrid solar battery system.

Comment

Cool, makes sense.

No worries here, not going to try to grid-tie. If I try that half of the equation down the road, it'll be a totally separate system with a much bigger price tag

Comment

When it comes to meeting the NEC it is usually comes down to how the system is wired and guarded to keep unqualified people getting access and hurt from the electricity.

Each state and even some counties in each state officially approved some revision of the NEC so it is a moving shell game knowing what is required. Best info should be gotten from a local AHJ or code department in your city.

As of today there are still a number of states that have not approved the 2014 NEC even though the 2017 is scheduled to come out next year.

Comment

Yeah, ours is pretty loosey-goosey because we live out in the boonies, so there isn't an officially-adopted version, beyond the state's generic rule that in cases like that, things have to comply with the NEC, UPC, etc. when doing new construction. They don't even specify what version you have to comply with, just that you either have to pick a version, or any version adopted by an AHJ within 100 miles. So I've been trying to understand everything from a 2014 perspective, and understand the changes upcoming in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by smily03 View Post
            Cool, makes sense.

No worries here, not going to try to grid-tie. If I try that half of the equation down the road, it'll be a totally separate system with a much bigger price tag
            Grid tie is less expensive, but usually does require some coordination with the power company.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

That's true; just thinking in terms of overall project cost, not cost per kWh in this case. If I was going to do a grid-tied project, it'd need to be about 3 kW of panels and associated components to offset our usage, which would cost a lot more overall than what I'm looking at doing this time around. (Figured I'd start with a small off-grid project to learn and play with, then decide what I wanted to do from there.)

Comment

A grid tie project does not have to offset all your usage. If the transactional costs (permits, etc) are low, smaller systems are just as cost effective, or more so. I totally understand wanting to tinker with a small learning system though.
                Last edited by sensij; 07-19-2016, 09:46 AM.
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
                X