No announcement yet.

Plz recommend a Controller for this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plz recommend a Controller for this...

Hello! I have three panels, Suniva mono, 24v 325 watt each, totalling 975 watts. This will be mounted on a mobile RV platform. I got a great deal locally on the panels, now I'm buying the other components...looking like 6v Trojans will make up the bank.

I would like to run a 12v bank for simplicity. I'm was close to pulling the trigger on the TriStar TS-MPPT-60 MPPT because everyone seems to think highly of Morningstar. On a different forum (more RV related) a fellow says that he has that controller and has experienced it getting very hot and "clipping out" with a similar panel capacity. I don't understand this, as when I read the stat page it appears to say up to 3000 watts for that unit...but I'm not an electrician and I've never done this before.

So and advice or recommendations would be appreciated! ty

I guess I found part of the answer reading the Sticky by Sunking on inverters: "The largest amperage charge controller is 80 Amps! A 80 amp MPPT Charge Controller has the generic Power input limitations vs. Battery Voltage:
    • 1000 watts @ 12 volt
    • 2000 watts @ 24 volt
    • 4000 watts @ 48 volt"

So I would be trying to push (at peak) more than the 60amp controller is rated for. I guess my next question would be, is that dangerous or just inefficient?

Comment

In real life, it may work out OK. early AM, the sun will slowly start charging the batteries, and then by noon, the batteries may be full enough they don't accept too much power.
      You will have to keep a close watch on it. I run a 3KW array on my TS-MPPT-60, and it gets warm. Excess heat is caused by having the array at too high of a voltage, 2x battery voltage is fine, but trying to step 130V down to 12V will waste a lot of heat in the controller.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by BradKW View Post
        I guess I found part of the answer reading the Sticky by Sunking on inverters: "The largest amperage charge controller is 80 Amps! A 80 amp MPPT Charge Controller has the generic Power input limitations vs. Battery Voltage:
        • 1000 watts @ 12 volt
        • 2000 watts @ 24 volt
        • 4000 watts @ 48 volt"

So I would be trying to push (at peak) more than the 60amp controller is rated for. I guess my next question would be, is that dangerous or just inefficient?
        Yes you answered your own question. Of course the Morningstar Manual would have answered it as it clearly states 800 watts maximum @ 12 volt battery. Can you go higher? Yes to some degree. But why? You cheat yourself and risk by overheating.

I can only assume you have done your homework and plan to use a good Electronic Battery Isolator to use your RV alternator to most of the charging right? If not that a generator and charger right?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          I can only assume you have done your homework and plan to use a good Electronic Battery Isolator to use your RV alternator to most of the charging right? If not that a generator and charger right?
          I'm not sure yet if I'll charge from alternator or not...I live in south Florida and feel that the sun here will keep the bank charged up pretty easily. Plus I won't be driving it much for the first couple years. And despite having been reading on mobile setups, I still find electrical diagrams a bit daunting and want to simplify where I can.

I will have a generator and an inverter/charger though.

Thanks for your interest!

build thread: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/...-RV-Conversion

Comment

Working...
          X