X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthias
    • May 2016

Something wrong with me...or my setup?

Straight to the core:
    I have a 130w/12v panel, a 120ah battery, a 30a charge controller, a 300w pure sine inverter and wiring that I'm sure is thick enough and well connected. It's maybe not the most common set-up but I can't complain as most of the stuff was for free. The downside is that my inverter doesn't have any output (only the 5v for USB).
    After (re)reading and (re)calculating and I came to the conclusion that I still don't get why my set-up doesn't work. The battery gets charged so is it me or maybe my inverter?

Is there a quick answer to my, hopefully, simple problem?

Kind regards,
    Matthias
    The Netherlands
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by matthias
    Straight to the core:
    I have a 130w/12v panel, a 120ah battery, a 30a charge controller, a 300w pure sine inverter and wiring that I'm sure is thick enough and well connected. It's maybe not the most common set-up but I can't complain as most of the stuff was for free. The downside is that my inverter doesn't have any output (only the 5v for USB).
    After (re)reading and (re)calculating and I came to the conclusion that I still don't get why my set-up doesn't work. The battery gets charged so is it me or maybe my inverter?

Is there a quick answer to my, hopefully, simple problem?
    Not really enough information to know if there's anything wrong with your setup (or you!) but here are some things to try:
    -Measure voltage at the batteries. Voltage should always be above 12 volts during normal operation.
    -Measure the voltage at the inverter. Again voltage should always be 12-15 volts.

If there's no voltage at the inverter, then you have a wiring problem. If there is voltage at the inverter but no 120VAC output, the inverter is bad. If there is no voltage anywhere (or voltages are very low) your batteries are shot and must be replaced.

Comment

• matthias
      • May 2016

Thanks for your fast reply. As I don't have a voltage meter I'll have to wait with my measurements, but now I know what my next step must be.

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by matthias
        Thanks for your fast reply. As I don't have a voltage meter I'll have to wait with my measurements, but now I know what my next step must be.
        Yeah, you're going to absolutely need a meter to work with solar/battery systems.

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2011

If you have power to the USB port on the inverter then you have power to the inverter. Sounds like the LVD may have tripped and needs reset or you have a problem with the inverter.

Comment

Working...