X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunnyday
    • Mar 2014

connect solarmaster 200ah and a telco battery for 24v

Hello all,
    would it be ok for me to connect a used telco battery and 200ah solarmaster battery in series? i wanted to have 24v setup. any similar setup? how is it?
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy sunnyday, are you talking about grid tied or off-grid system ?

Comment

• sunnyday
      sunnyday commented
      Editing a comment
      that would be off grid solar pete
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by sunnyday
    Hello all,
    would it be ok for me to connect a used telco battery and 200ah solarmaster battery in series? i wanted to have 24v setup. any similar setup? how is it?
    It would work for a short while - weeks, maybe 2 months max. If batteries are not matched (from same mfg lot/batch) they will not "track" each other well, and one will die much sooner, either over or under charge. No way to avoid early death.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

The problem with connecting two mismatched batteries in series is that the charge controller (CC) does not have any way of seeing the individual battery voltages. So if one battery is very low in charge it will see a low total voltage and try to send a high current through the series string even if one of the two batteries is near full charge. Far too easy to overcharge or overdischarge one of the two batteries with dramatically bad results.

If the two batteries are a different type (i.e. one Flooded and one AGM) the potential bad results are even worse.
      If the two batteries are not approximately equal in capacity (Amp Hour rating) do not even think of trying it.
      If you must do it, start with both batteries separately brought to full charge and keep a close watch on the two battery voltages.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...