Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by almac View Post
    s
    safer than before i had no fuses at all. dont intend to load more than 25 amp . ok so 50 amp fuses are pointless. so will try 25 amp fuses , if they dont blow then all good. if they do blow then will have to go to 30 amp cable and fuses
    You don't get it. You are very dangerous. You have ZERO control of fault current. At best all you can do is coordinate OCPD to mitigate damages. You are beyond help and not willing to listen. I will help you no more.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

And so ends the great junked battery experiment. Interesting to get an update. This gives "nothing ventured, nothing gained" a whole new meaning.
      Last edited by Living Large; 02-07-2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
        And so ends the great junked battery experiment. Interesting to get an update. This gives "nothing ventured, nothing gained" a whole new meaning.
        It could have resulted in a worse conclusion. Lucky no fire broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Good plan ( lack there of). Hack it together till something happens then adjust. Only problem is the something that could happen is explosion and fire....
          But keep hacking away.
          thats how mankind has always learned and always will. learn from mistakes. if you dont fail you will never learn anything
          thats how the shuttle programme was run, after the challenger disaster , O rings were installed, then after columbia , inspect foam dislodgements .

Comment

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
            will keep you updated , have adjusted the charge voltage to 27.4v to minimize plate corrosion. the remaining used car batteries are all ok.. i think it was the bad battery that blew 2 inverters, now the inverter im using doesnt cut off with large currents as it was doing before. i do listen sunking, i will install the right size fuses to the cabling i am using

Comment

thats how mankind has always learned and always will. learn from mistakes. if you dont fail you will never learn anything
              thats how the shuttle programme was run, after the challenger disaster , O rings were installed, then after columbia , inspect foam dislodgements .

You are not learning anything for mankind. Everyone knows you have built a bomb except for you.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

You are not learning anything for mankind. Everyone knows you have built a bomb except for you.
                What is scary is that while he may learn from his mistakes, he may not be healthy enough to do anything to improve the system if a fire should break out.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  What is scary is that while he may learn from his mistakes,.
                  Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone learns anything from their mistakes. What do they say about: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone learns anything from their mistakes. What do they say about: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?
                    I define that action as Insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                      I define that action as Insanity.
                      OK Einstein, whatever you say.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

will keep you updated regardless, whether my junked batteries explode or serve me well for years. right now this bank of remaining batteries are ok. dropped charge voltage to 27v, SG is good. running fridge , washing machine , laptops , coffee machine by day. dont use it at night. use a different bank at night. as before observing charge current and voltage battery temp for any problems. will test any additional batteries more thoroughly before adding them. as for fuses will go to 20 amp per parallel battery with a total of 5 parallel groups

Comment

ok this junked battery trial is finished, iv found the light SLI batteries are totally unsuited to RE. they overcharge and overheat. even at low charge voltages they overcharge. after a few weeks they start to get hot even when the sun is down they keep drawing current from the other paralled batteries. draining the whole bank so in the morning there is no charge left. iv found the 4 x 4 / marine batteries work well with RE, a set bought new a year ago are still performing well. although i never discharge them ,
                          as for using junked batteries i think is a waste of time. best value would be new deep cycle FLA batteries. shop around can get them for a reasonable price.

Comment

best value would be new deep cycle FLA batteries. shop around can get them for a reasonable price.
                            So how is that Free Energy thing working out for you.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

ok this junked battery trial is finished, iv found the light SLI batteries are totally unsuited to RE. they overcharge and overheat. even at low charge voltages they overcharge. after a few weeks they start to get hot even when the sun is down they keep drawing current from the other paralled batteries. draining the whole bank so in the morning there is no charge left. iv found the 4 x 4 / marine batteries work well with RE, a set bought new a year ago are still performing well. although i never discharge them ,
                              as for using junked batteries i think is a waste of time. best value would be new deep cycle FLA batteries. shop around can get them for a reasonable price.
                              Facing reality like a Man. I'm really glad that no disaster occurred during the testing.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                                So how is that Free Energy thing working out for you.
                                Sunking ! Almac has just learned a very valuable lesson in life, and did not loose any valuable organs or digits. Cut back on the Snark.
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                                X