X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • almac
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Originally posted by jflorey2
    Again - what are you paying per kwhr? Either you are paying 70 cents a kwhr or your math is off.
    this has nothing to do with maths, i know what my bills were because i was paying them, $1000 per year, plus the $500 i didnt have to pay in repairs to replace the barge fuse that was torn off from the front of my house by a truck collecting the sagging street cable that ausgrid failed to repair, by holding out for six months i was able to drag ausgrid to the ombudsman who held them to account. the solar setup enabled this. now into my second year another $500 saved thus far. this was about reliable power supply for me, no more power outages when storms pass. i didnt keep my old bills so i dont know how much power i was using , i think it was about 26c/kwh plus about $320 in network fees per year. the 26c/kwh has gone up since i was a customer

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by almac
      this has nothing to do with maths, i know what my bills were because i was paying them, $1000 per year, plus the $500 i didnt have to pay in repairs to replace the barge fuse that was torn off from the front of my house by a truck collecting the sagging street cable that ausgrid failed to repair, by holding out for six months i was able to drag ausgrid to the ombudsman who held them to account. the solar setup enabled this. now into my second year another $500 saved thus far. this was about reliable power supply for me, no more power outages when storms pass. i didnt keep my old bills so i dont know how much power i was using , i think it was about 26c/kwh plus about $320 in network fees per year. the 26c/kwh has gone up since i was a customer
      Well, you can't say "this has nothing to do with math" and then post a bunch of numbers claiming something. That's math.

It's great that your bill went down. But from what you have posted, it's not (primarily) due to your solar power system.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Well, you can't say "this has nothing to do with math" and then post a bunch of numbers claiming something. That's math.

It's great that your bill went down. But from what you have posted, it's not (primarily) due to your solar power system.
        Quit wating gyour time with him Jeofry. He has been told this for 2 years now and does not get it.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

To be fair... compared to a parallel universe where almac remained on the grid, his system really is paying for itself, even if most of the savings is reduced consumption. In the same way that I know I *could* lose weight if I put my mind to it, whatever health complication that occurs that finally convinces me to do it will get the credit.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• almac
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2015

yes my consumption is less, on the grid i was using electrically heated hot water. now i am using gas hot water so that is some of the missing power from the equation. im using a gas water heater at the source shower, runs off a 9kg gas bottle , its only $10 to gas up and lasts 2-3 months, also using more efficient refrigeration, chest freezer instead of a vertical fridge.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

yes my consumption is less, on the grid i was using electrically heated hot water. now i am using gas hot water so that is some of the missing power from the equation. im using a gas water heater at the source shower, runs off a 9kg gas bottle , its only $10 to gas up and lasts 2-3 months, also using more efficient refrigeration, chest freezer instead of a vertical fridge.
              Sounds like you found ways to reduce your electrical usage which is a good idea. But I would not compare your new solar pv system as saving you all the money you use to spend on electricity because it is now not the only "power source" you use to run your appliances.

To be fair you should determine what you now use in watt hours compared to what your solar / battery system can produce to see if you are spending less using solar then connected to the grid. All other costs (grid reconnection and power for the water heater) should be removed from your comparison.

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

That makes a lot more sense. Going from electric to gas heat will make a huge difference in your power bill, as will switching to more efficient appliances.

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

That makes a lot more sense. Going from electric to gas heat will make a huge difference in your power bill, as will switching to more efficient appliances.
                  But not so huge a difference if you use propane instead of piped natural gas. Propane is expensive!
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• almac
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

Happy xmas and summer/winter solstice. this system is still serving me well coming up to 2 years soon. the batteries are still good. had bought a cheap gen last winter but never needed it. still using the 2 x 100AH deep cycle batteries , the 2 sets of car batteries i sometimes use for backup if the deep cycle get depleted on a cloudy day, the car batteries are about 60AH. Runs a chest freezer, washing machine,coffee machine, tv, laptops, microwave, lights and more. might get a 400AH battery bank before next winter would make things easier

DSCN1767.JPG. DSCN1766.JPG
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...