Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunking
    replied
    OP remember there are other manufactures out there. Iota makes a great FLOAT charger, but that is really just one Mode, and essentially the Iota device is a single mode Float Charger, and as an after thought came up with a couple of ways to give customers a way to adjust voltage.

Having said that for Off-Grid Folks or anyone who cycles batteries all you need is a Single mode to do PM, fast charging on cloudy days, and periodic EQ. All you gotta do is open it and set the voltage to what ever value you want from anywhere in from Float to EQ voltage output. Just make sure the model you use is at least a C/10 and try not to go over C/8, higher than C/7 and you are asking for trouble with a FLA product. Point is when you are running a genny, you want to make the run time as short as possible and the only way to do that is to charge with as much current as you can within limits. C/10 is an expensive charger, C/8 is an real expensive charger. Basically Iota is just a adjustable 12, 24, 48 volt power supply. I know wham operators who use their 12 volt charger as a power supply. I use a DC power supply to keep my radio batteries charged in a Float config.

For you others I would not recommend an Iota. You would want to look at a 4-Stage Smart Charger. For that luxury you get to cough up some bucks once you start getting above 10 amps.

Leave a comment:

• mschulz
    replied
    I use the IOTA DLS-30 with built in IQ4 with my EU2000i, I run it on eco mode and it runs at lowest setting RPM when the charger is on Bulk. When charger goes to float you can hear a slight decrease in RPMs but not much.

From the technical spec sheet that came with my IOTA is that mine has 30 AMP output (400Watts) and max input is 7.3 AMPS. The DLS 45 and 55 Max AC current is 11 and 13.4 amps so twice what mine uses.

I have only used it in my system for a weekend so I do not have any hard data to say if it is better than something else, but I liked the clean power it gave when running. If I didn't need the EU2000i to run power tools, I think the EU1000I would be more than adequate for charging.

Leave a comment:

• paulcheung
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    What is the AH capacity of your bank? A 13a chargeer will barely be able to EQ a 130ah battery.
    The banks are 350 amps and 400 amps, they can be charged separately, When I charge the batteries with the Magnum charger, the end absorb amps get to 8 to 13 amps, I want to use the smaller charger to continue to charge over night with ~10 amps. Below is copy from Rolls battery manual.

METHOD
    Corrective equalization can take a very long time depending on the degree
    of sulfation.
    1. If you have a recombination cap, remove during equalization.
    2. Set the charging controls to the recommended equalization settings according
    to voltage.
    3. Charge at a low DC current (5 A per 100 AH of battery capacity). If grid power is not
    available, use solar panels or a good DC source when possible. At high voltages,
    charging with generator can be difficult and hard on the inverter.
    4. Once every hour, measure and record the specific gravity and temperature of a test
    cell. If the temperature rises above 46ºC and approaches 52ºC, remove the batteries
    from charge.
    5. If severely sulfated, it may take many hours for the specific gravity to rise.
    6. Once the specific gravity begins to rise, the bank voltage will most likely drop, or
    the charging current will increase. The charging current may need to be lowered if
    temperature approaches 46ºC. If the charge controller was bypassed, it should now
    be used or put back in line.
    7. Continue measuring the specific gravity until 1.265 is reached.
    8. Charge the batteries for another 2 to 3 hours. Add water to maintain the electrolyte
    above the plates.
    9. Allow bank to cool and check and record the specific gravity of each cell.
    The gravities should be 1.265 ± 0.005 or lower. Check the cell electrolyte levels and
    add water if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• mapmaker
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Most chargers are around 50amps (232Ah battery) and the generators are around 5500 watt for an RV that has a 50 amp grid connection cable. So I would say the charger is not small compared to the gen set.
    A charger that pushes 50 amps into a 12 volt battery (at up to 15.5 volts) is 775 watts into the battery. Even if the charger is not very efficient and has a poor power factor, it would be a small load on a 5500 watt generator.

Some of the larger Iotas that charge at less than 1000 watts have been too much load for a number of "2000 watt" generators, including the Honda eu2000.

--mapmaker

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by inetdog View Post
    But I assume that the Iota charger is relatively small compared to the output capacity of the RV generator.
    Most chargers are around 50amps (232Ah battery) and the generators are around 5500 watt for an RV that has a 50 amp grid connection cable. So I would say the charger is not small compared to the gen set.

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    A lot of RV's use an Iota charger for the coach batteries and are suppose to work when the generator is running and there is no grid power.
    But I assume that the Iota charger is relatively small compared to the output capacity of the RV generator.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by mapmaker View Post
    Yes, but... the Iota "equalization" is NOT what we usually call equalization. It is just another bulk-absorb cycle at the bulk-absorb voltage. Iota claims that this "equalization" will stir up the electrolyte which becomes stratified while on constant float.

You must adjust a 10-turn potentiometer.

The Iota is a cheap rugged charger. Where will you get the AC power for the Iota?

I ask because the Iota has a huge inrush current and a low power factor which may be a problem for some generators. No problems running the Iota from the grid, however.

--mapmaker
    A lot of RV's use an Iota charger for the coach batteries and are suppose to work when the generator is running and there is no grid power.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
    .....Also what voltage I should set to EQ the 48 volt Rolls S-530 bank?.....
    What is the AH capacity of your bank? A 13a chargeer will barely be able to EQ a 130ah battery.

Leave a comment:

• mapmaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    If you get the IQ4 option it will automatically go into EQ is the battery is not used in 7 days, or manually switch it in via software.
    Yes, but... the Iota "equalization" is NOT what we usually call equalization. It is just another bulk-absorb cycle at the bulk-absorb voltage. Iota claims that this "equalization" will stir up the electrolyte which becomes stratified while on constant float.

Originally posted by paulcheung
    how do I increase the voltage? do I have to open the unit to adjust some kind screw or jumper?
    You must adjust a 10-turn potentiometer.

Originally posted by SCD
    I'm considering the purchase of a charger for my system
    <snip>
    Also, I was thinking of an Iota charger
    The Iota is a cheap rugged charger. Where will you get the AC power for the Iota?

I ask because the Iota has a huge inrush current and a low power factor which may be a problem for some generators. No problems running the Iota from the grid, however.

--mapmaker

Leave a comment:

• paulcheung
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Anyway there are two methods to EQ with the Iota. If you do not opt from for the IQ option, you just plug in the 2-Step into the jack and it raises the voltage from float to about any voltage you want to EQ at.
    [/URL]
    Hi Dereck.

I ordered the IOTA Engineering (DLS5413) 13 Amp 54V DC Battery Charger for occasional cloudy days charge and periodically EQ. I did not get it yet. how do I increase the voltage? do I have to open the unit to adjust some kind screw or jumper? Also what voltage I should set to EQ the 48 volt Rolls S-530 bank?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by SDC View Post
    that would have the same features but that would allow EQ as soon as the charger hits floating stage?
    That is backasswards, no chargers go to EQ after Float, its the other way around where after EQ it switched to Float.

Anyway there are two methods to EQ with the Iota. If you do not opt from for the IQ option, you just plug in the 2-Step into the jack and it raises the voltage from float to about any voltage you want to EQ at. If you get the IQ4 option it will automatically go into EQ is the battery is not used in 7 days, or manually switch it in via software.

Some other manufactures to consider are:

Samlex
    Quick Charge
    Power Charge

Leave a comment:

• SDC
    started a topic Iota charger

Iota charger

Hi everybody,

I'm considering the purchase of a charger for my system as I don't want to drain my batteries too too much during multiple cloudy days. So, I looked at two Iota models (dls-45 and dls-55). Their website's description somehow got me confused about the IQ4 feature. I'm hoping for some clarifications here.

So, my intended use is to give a good charge my bank (12V 464Ah) when the sun is somewhere else in the world or when I drained a lot of power during the day with power tools. On their website, Iota mentioned that even without IQ4, the charger will drop current when the battery nears full soc and move to a float charge. What is the point then to have IQ4? Anybody has experience with this feature?

Also, I was thinking of an Iota charger because I know they are usually appreciated by their owners but I have to mention I find a bit bugging that it won't allow an EQ before seven days of floating. Mine will never be switched on for more than 5-6 or say 8 hours so the Iota's EQ function will just be useless for me. Does anybody knows of a similar reliable charger (120VAC input, 12V 40-55A range) that would have the same features but that would allow EQ as soon as the charger hits floating stage?

Thank you all
Working...
X