Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring capacity

According to IEC 61960-4:2020
    The cell or battery shall be discharged, in an ambient temperature of 20 °C ± 5 °C, at a "constant current" to the end-of-discharge voltage specified by the manufacturer.

If I see official specs of lithium 18650 they measure as IEC describes (see atachment)​​​​​​.

Cheap charger/testers measure capacity by discharging till a certain voltage , eg cut-off @ 2.8v not adjustable.

Can I assume (tester)tools that not measure till the "end of voltage" specified by the manufacturer, the method of testing capacity is then "invalid" ?

Attached Files

Correct. Many manufacturers set their "end of voltage" setting differently so that they can achieve the cycle life count and durability that they want. They also can play games with the C rate of the charging and discharging process to inflate their numbers.

From what I have seen, and I have investigated around a dozen Chinese manufacturers and American "manufacturers", most manufacturers have slight differences in their rating process. So if you use a generic battery tester to measure capacity it may be off of their rating, but both ratings may be correct as tested.

Comment

To cope with that situation,
      I try really hard to only buy batteries that have a good following and a good reputation......

Or...have a good and free return policy.

If those things are absent I usually abstain.

Recently I took a chance on a 120Ah battery pack advertised on Amazon.
      The battery tested out to 124Ah using MY testing method which is more stringent and less forgiving than most manufacturers.

But I made sure it had a return period just in case.

Comment

Working...
      X