Charge Controller Voltage settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge Controller Voltage settings

I've been running with the default settings on the Tracer AN series charge controllers I'm using. I would like to know what the actual settings should be.

I'm running 4x 6v FLA in series for 24 volt bank. I've read the manufacturer's pdf and I'm still a bit confused.

A bit of searching on here and I see sunking suggesting that for solar, it's ideal to just use the float voltage settings for bulk/absorb/float phases, since it's unlikely a solar system would be active long enough to hit the various stages each day. Ok. Makes sense.

I'm using crown cr235 batteries, and the pdf says to change from phase 1(which I'm aiming is bulk) at 2.37V/cell. So that means 28.44V. then it covers some constant current numbers, which I can't do with this charger. Finally noting it is safe to transition to end of charge at 2.7V/cell MAX. This is over 32V. Currently I have my equalize charge settings up around 31V. And yes, I know it doesn't properly equalize on solar, but I am only a part time resident so the batteries are full charge most days, so I'm thinking it can't hurt to let the Tracer try and equalize a little.

The charge settings also allow me to set durations for each phase, and they're all currently set at 180min IIRC.

Any advise? Here's a screen cap of the relevant section.

Screenshot_20190403-105514_Drive.jpg

Forgot to mention that currently the batteries charge up and then seem to hover around 25.6 volts overnight. SG is around 1275 according to my cheap hydrometer. It's a basic pivoting floating disc type.

Comment

I'm still trying to sort out the best settings for my setups. I've poked through the sticky in this forum, but most of the links are kaput. The solarnavigator page had some helpful info, but I could still use a suggestion from the gurus.

Sadly I can't get at the actual numbers on the controller right now - but here's a screen cap of the EPEver Software for the Tracer Charge Controllers.
      Battery Type is "USER" so I can set all the individual parameters.

I bumped the equalization charging settings to 31V and 180min (The charger does it once every 28 days)
      I have all the other phases set to 28.8V in my live controller. But I'm starting to think that I should have the float settings much lower.

Help?

EPEVer Battery Settings.jpg

Comment

Start with the battery mfg suggestions for your application. If you are pulling the batteries down deeply every night, you need a longer absorb cycle. You measure battery voltage early morning and see if you charged enough , and adjust the times. if you run out of time, you start increasing the voltage. Usually, in winter, you will have longer absorb time and higher voltage
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi Mike - thanks for the help. It's at my cabin so I'm not around all the time. The system will not be deeply discharged day to day. maybe 15-20% per day with no sun. (Designed it for 3 days to 50% DOD). I'm a bit confused by the manufacturer's suggestions, which is why i started this thread. The pdf I screen-capped and posted up top says 2.37V/Cell for transitioning to Phase 2 - That's 28.44V for what I think is the absorb (aka boost?) charge phase on my controller. I think? Am I understanding that correctly?

In the morning, what voltage should I be checking for?

Comment

28.44 seems right, up to 30V in cold weather.

As for the time, I'd start with 2 hours of Absorb.

Morning battery voltage. depends on how much you used them the night before.
            Look up where 15-20% would be on the chart:

battery-state-of-charge LeadAcid.jpg
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Ok that's good info to start with. Thanks. Pretty sure last time I was over 25V in the morning, but that was before I changed settings. I'll be back up next weekend for Easter so I'll try and run some heavier loads and see how it bounces back, measuring at the end of day and in the morning. Good news is I have a custom built data logger pulling numbers every 5 minutes, so I can see what it was up to while I was gone. Just need a weather station so I can correlate weather to the performance.

Comment

Working...
              X