Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powersafe 12v155fs Recommended voltages ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powersafe 12v155fs Recommended voltages ?

Was just wondering if anyone can help me with the Powersafe 12v155fs in selecting the right charge voltages
    the manual mentions the FLOAT voltages to use which I understand but im not sure about the Bulk and Obsobption stage and what to set the voltages at on my charge controller. heres the manual
    http://www.cpsauxilion.co.uk/resources/productguide.pdf

also I have 4 batteries in Parrallel
    Last edited by inetdog; 09-02-2016, 09:17 PM.

batteries wired in parallel do not last very long. 12 volt system is a poor choice for home power.
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

I know those batteries quite well. They only refer to Float Voltages because they are designed for Emergency Standby Service for Telecom equipment, not CYCLE SERVICE. They are made to sit there on a Float Charger and be used once or twice a year. They can be discharged as fast as 15 minutes.

What this means to you is they will not last long as they only have 150 to 300 cycles in them. In the mean time set Bulk = Absorb = Float = 14.4 volts. Save your money to buy Deep Cycle batteries in about a year and do not repeat the mistakes you made. Next time buy Deep Cycle batteries and DO NOT USE PARALLEL STRINGS. If you need 200 AH batteries, buy 200 AH batteries, not 50 AH with four in parallel. Expensive lesson.
      Last edited by Sunking; 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Ouch, ok thanks for the info, well I could try and sell them as we got them second hand anyway at £100 each.
        did you mean set 14.4v on all settings Bulk Aborb and Float ?
        Yes I will get deep cycle next.
        Shall I use one battery at once ? whats the draw back of parallel batteries ?

Comment

You already have two strikes against you. Those are second hand used telecom batteries. The telephone company turned a liability into an asset, or better said limited their losses. Instead of paying someone to take the used batteries to the salvage yard costing them a lot of money, they sold them. They are responsible for tracking the batteries and all the Red Tape that goes with it. You now own the problem, and the engineers/technicians stuck some cash in their pockets. You now have used batteries on your hands.

You can get some use out of them, but again they are not made for cycle service, they are made for Float Service. They are AGM batteries and have a Calendar Life that has already expired, thus why they replaced them.

As for charging set all points to 14.2 to 14.4 volts and get as much use out of them that you can. Just do not expect much from them. I am assuming you are operating @ 12 volts, so all of them would be in parallel. Otherwise 28.8 for 24 volts, or 57.6 volts for 48 volts.

Good luck.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for that help...the system has been working really well since it was set up! I've been powering my laptop and amplifier and charging the phone. No problems.
            Time will tell how long they last. Every day they go up to 14.4 volts then at night sometimes go down to 12.8 or 12.6 the lowest I've seen.

Cheers Riki

Comment

OUCH! 400 Pounds for used telco batteries to power your laptop and charging phones? Maybe if you invited Robin Trower over to your place for an 8 hour jam every weekend, maybe, but wow - that £400 could have been better spent on a single new battery with much less of a carbon (um, lead) footprint.
              Last edited by inetdog; 09-02-2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Hey, My amplifier drew a constant of about 400watts as its a Class-A amplifier

Comment

Originally posted by Rixsta View Post
                  Hey, My amplifier drew a constant of about 400watts as its a Class-A amplifier
                  Trade it in for a class D. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                  X