X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by dutchoffgrid
    Hi DanKegel: it is nice, it is expensive and yes can also take your bank account, over the past several years i've been watching hundreds of YT video's on going offgrid with solar and it all seems so good and do-able, seen all the video's on the harbor freight systems and outback / midnite controllers, and now with the investment of several 1000 euro's / dollars... i want a piece of payback
    Quit lying to yourself. With Off-Grid there is NO PAY PACK. Anything you take off grid will cost you many times more than buying it from the POCO. Battery systems are very unreliable and expensive.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

The payback is purely emotional, and for some people that is justification enough.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Actually I read an article today that indicated, due to the rising cost of grid power along with a high percentage of power outages, there are some small towns in Australia that are seriously considering becoming a micro grid where they will have a "community" energy storage system connected to home solar pv systems. And the system will pay for itself in 10 years.

While off grid is nowhere close to being cost effective in the US (except maybe in Hawaii) it may be getting to a point of being cost justified in places like Australia.

Maybe solar pete can jump in with his knowledge on the subject.
        Last edited by SunEagle; 02-04-2016, 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• dutchoffgrid
          • Jan 2016

Hello all,

What i mean by payback is taking appliances from the grid (computer, stereo, bla bla) and moving them to the offgrid system, that way my electric bill should get lower

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Hello all,

What i mean by payback is taking appliances from the grid (computer, stereo, bla bla) and moving them to the offgrid system, that way my electric bill should get lower
            The problem is that it will cost you many times more to generate a kWh from a battery system then if you purchase it from the grid. Where it becomes cost effective is if your grid power starts to pass $0.50/kWh. Otherwise you may reduce your electric bill but will spend more on the battery system to run the same appliances. It is a PIA but as of this time a reality.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

You should be worried when Congress is in session
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Complete illogical nonsense. . Stop that, you are embarrassing yourself and do not even know it. .

Whatever you take off-grid will cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying the power from the Power Company for the rest of your life.

You are not saving money, you are throwing it away so quit lying to yourself.
                Last edited by Sunking; 02-04-2016, 10:08 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• solar pete
                  Administrator
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  Actually I read an article today that indicated, due to the rising cost of grid power along with a high percentage of power outages, there are some small towns in Australia that are seriously considering becoming a micro grid where they will have a "community" energy storage system connected to home solar pv systems. And the system will pay for itself in 10 years.

While off grid is nowhere close to being cost effective in the US (except maybe in Hawaii) it may be getting to a point of being cost justified in places like Australia.

Maybe solar pete can jump in with his knowledge on the subject.

Howdy All,

Hybrid systems are becoming popular here as the price we pay per kW/h is high (26 to 42 cents kwh sort of averages out at 38) we have a large trial system going at my brothers place (he owns solar company) here is the link https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...m-in-australia

We designed his system so that the house would have enough power to run of the panels and be able to charge the batteries during the average day, and we run the house off batteries at night, we did end up having quite a few issues in setting up the system, had issues with the comms card that took a while to diagnose and here has been one occasion that I know of where the system started charging the batteries from the grid. It was the first time our guys had used Kaco and SP Pro gear and I think thats why it took a while to sort out.

As I say this is a trial system as we really want to see how these cheap chinese batteries last, we get asked on a daily basis from new and existing customers about hybrid systems, but when we price it for them they fall of their chairs SO although this system just wont make any sense to most people it makes sense for us to run with it, I am going to do a video of it and post the link maybe next week

The damn letter t and y on my keyboard are stuffed so annoying

Comment

Working...