Batteries wont hold Voltage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Can you believe that someone who lives off-grid does not want to know anything about his system.
    You're missing the point (again). I dont want any help from you.

You were convinced my 100-amp solar chargers didnt exist, as well as convinced I was only getting 1440w from my solar array. Both assertions were blatantly false. You're not credible.

All you have proven is what a blowhard you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroni View Post
      You were convinced my 100-amp solar chargers didnt exist, as well as convinced I was only getting 1440w from my solar array.
      Sure abou that because you claimed to have a single 60 - Amp Controller. Then you changed it to a 2 Magnum 100 _ Amp. Which lie is true?

Garbage In and Garbage out. You did not even know what you had. I do not care if you want my help or not, there is nothing you can do about it. We are making sure no one else repeats your mistake.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

"Here's where the problems started... Immediately after the auto-start was installed, I can no longer get the 5+ hours of usage out of my batteries with a 3000w load. It takes about 15 minutes for the voltage to sink to unsafe levels so the auto-start kicks on to protect the batteries. The geni runs for 20 minutes or so, bringing the voltage back up to a healthy level and then the generator shuts down. 15 minutes later the cycle repeats itself."

"Auto-Start on Voltage: originally set to 23.8v and to shut off at 28.8"

The above are from your first two posts, Im not sure if you have an answer to your original question but I have an idea.

As has been said voltage is not a good indicator of SOC, if your batteries are down to 23.8 they are not going to get up to a decent SOC in 20 minutes.

Instead of an off voltage for your autostart you need to set a run time for the genset, unless you can turn it off by amps reading.

When I charge off the genset my voltage will be at 28.4 within a few minutes but it will take a couple of hrs for the amps to drop from initial 60 odd to approx 20 where the battereis are at a high SOC.

You need to work out what run time is needed for your system

Comment

Seems logical. It is a good point.

Comment

The problem with most people is that they are unaware of how the automated part of the charging system works. A charger that provides an SOC of your battery is only measuring the voltage which is very misleading.

Having AGM or sealed batteries exasperate the problem because you can't get an SOC reading using a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the acid content.. Getting the SG is the only positive way of knowing your battery SOC. Batteries that are starting to fail will be able to get their voltage raised but it will not stay there and will quickly drop under load.

A quick way of knowing your battery is on the way out is if it gets to "full charge" quickly based on the charger measuring the voltage. As Bala points out knowing the amount of amps being pumped into the battery gets you a better picture of what it's SOC may be but that still will not be as accurate as a measured SG.

Comment

Originally posted by Bala View Post
              "Here's where the problems started... Immediately after the auto-start was installed, I can no longer get the 5+ hours of usage out of my batteries with a 3000w load. It takes about 15 minutes for the voltage to sink to unsafe levels so the auto-start kicks on to protect the batteries. The geni runs for 20 minutes or so, bringing the voltage back up to a healthy level and then the generator shuts down. 15 minutes later the cycle repeats itself."

"Auto-Start on Voltage: originally set to 23.8v and to shut off at 28.8"

The above are from your first two posts, Im not sure if you have an answer to your original question but I have an idea.

As has been said voltage is not a good indicator of SOC, if your batteries are down to 23.8 they are not going to get up to a decent SOC in 20 minutes.

Instead of an off voltage for your autostart you need to set a run time for the genset, unless you can turn it off by amps reading.

When I charge off the genset my voltage will be at 28.4 within a few minutes but it will take a couple of hrs for the amps to drop from initial 60 odd to approx 20 where the battereis are at a high SOC.

You need to work out what run time is needed for your system

I see what you're getting at. And Ive adjusted those settings since talking to Magnum. The absorb time is set longer and Im no longer using 28.8v as the off marker.

The problem is, I can run the generator for 4 hours, and then once the geni shuts off, within 15 minutes the load has killed the voltage again, so the geni runs for another 4 hours? That's just a big waste of gas at that point. I dont want to be running the generator 20+ hours a day (be it constant or turning on/off 40x a day).

There's still a very strong possibility that the AGS was wired wrong and Ive finally gotten a bead on how it was done improperly. I have an electrician and a solar expert coming to double check the setup. So I'll get a answer one way or the other on that front. The original installer would not even double check that aspect of his setup when he came out to diagnose the situation. That sorta stubborness and his unwillingness to acknowledge the symptoms were enough for me to lose all faith in his abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                The problem with most people is that they are unaware of how the automated part of the charging system works. A charger that provides an SOC of your battery is only measuring the voltage which is very misleading.

Having AGM or sealed batteries exasperate the problem because you can't get an SOC reading using a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the acid content.. Getting the SG is the only positive way of knowing your battery SOC. Batteries that are starting to fail will be able to get their voltage raised but it will not stay there and will quickly drop under load.

A quick way of knowing your battery is on the way out is if it gets to "full charge" quickly based on the charger measuring the voltage. As Bala points out knowing the amount of amps being pumped into the battery gets you a better picture of what it's SOC may be but that still will not be as accurate as a measured SG.
                The amps being pumped in were very low.

Scenario:
                - load is put on
                - voltage sinks in 15 minutes / SOC barely moves a few points
                - AGS gets voltage back to healthy level in short time / meanwhile amps being pumped in arent at the level they normally are when the batteries are low

I really think the installer wired the AGS wrong and it was not getting a proper voltage reading. We'll find out soon enough tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroni View Post
                  Scenario:
                  - load is put on
                  - voltage sinks in 15 minutes / SOC barely moves a few points
                  - AGS gets voltage back to healthy level in short time / meanwhile amps being pumped in arent at the level they normally are when the batteries are low

The problem is, I can run the generator for 4 hours, and then once the geni shuts off, within 15 minutes the load has killed the voltage again,
                  That is screaming at you the batteries are TOAST. All of us know it except you.

You just described a classic dead battery. Charge it up, batteries will not take much current, put a load on, and the voltage collapses. DUH!

You destroyed them from abuse, improper design, and ignorance. It is all on you. Your battery should never ever go below 24.4 volts (6.1 volts per battery) and you allowed then to go to fully discharged (24.0 volts) many many times.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 01-14-2017, 09:05 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

The problem is, I can run the generator for 4 hours, and then once the geni shuts off, within 15 minutes the load has killed the voltage again, so the geni runs for another 4 hours? That's just a big waste of gas at that point. I dont want to be running the generator 20+ hours a day (be it constant or turning on/off 40x a day).
                    Classic indication of sulphated batteries, they charge right up, and go right down, because they are only 20ah batteries now, not 300ah
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

What's the magic bullet? There must be some easy way to fix the batteries..... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Higher-Ground Farm View Post
                        What's the magic bullet? There must be some easy way to fix the batteries..... LOL
                        Unfortunately, the only magic bullet for hard sulphated batteries is to shoot them and then bury them. (figuratively. Please dispose of old lead acid batteries properly.)
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunqueen View Post

That is screaming at you the batteries are TOAST. All of us know it except you.

You calling someone obtuse is oh so rich. Thx for the laugh.

Tell me again about my solar chargers that don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

Classic indication of sulphated batteries, they charge right up, and go right down, because they are only 20ah batteries now, not 300ah
                            Or batteries that have lost a ton of performance due to a sudden & drastic drop in temperature?

Weather conditions took a VERY steep dive at the same time the AGS was installed. This situation could have nothing to do with the AGS, and be because it's been freezing temps every night. That would at least explain the coincidence of everything.

Comment

Having gone through 3 sets of batteries. When they start to fail, they fail quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Higher-Ground Farm View Post
                                Having gone through 3 sets of batteries. When they start to fail, they fail quick.
                                Overnight?

Comment

Working...
                                X