X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie W View Post

The numbers and functionality don't even begin to make sense for off-grid use.
    And it still will be only useful for minimal load shaving, or grid emergencys (that's why it need internet connection for remote commands)

Leave a comment:

• bberry
    replied
    I see some forum members still are having a problem with change.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie W
    replied
    Originally posted by gmanInPA View Post
    I don't know how anyone could conclude anything about its value with no real published specs or understanding it's interoperability within a larger system. On paper, or rather - for shareholders - it sounds appealing, sure - but most shareholders aren't burdened with determining it's true usefulness.
    Look on the first comment page. You'll see that, at 25 cents per stored kWh, that battery has no economic value for end users.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by gmanInPA View Post
    I don't know how anyone could conclude anything about its value with no real published specs or understanding it's interoperability within a larger system. On paper, or rather - for shareholders - it sounds appealing, sure - but most shareholders aren't burdened with determining it's true usefulness.
    Agreed. Shareholders don't need to worry about usefulness, just the marketing's ability to create an illusion for buyers.

Leave a comment:

• gmanInPA
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Charlie W
    replied
    Originally posted by bberry View Post
    The new powerwall appears to be the new standard for solar with battery. It contains the charge controller and the DC-AC converter, and perhaps the solar inverter. It is a great price for the functionality.

My guess is that the full off grid feature set wont be available until 2018.
    The numbers and functionality don't even begin to make sense for off-grid use.

Leave a comment:

• bberry
    replied
    The new powerwall appears to be the new standard for solar with battery. It contains the charge controller and the DC-AC converter, and perhaps the solar inverter. It is a great price for the functionality.

My guess is that the full off grid feature set wont be available until 2018.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by justpower View Post
    Capacity quote is 13.8Kwh and Li-Ion is still not that efficient
    What makes Li-ion "not efficient" ?? explain.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Capacity quote is 13.8Kwh and Li-Ion is still not that efficient

Leave a comment:

• PNjunction
    replied
    From a stand-alone concept, does it *require* internet access during the uptimes of non-use for remote monitoring, data collection and such?

And if so, what security steps have been taken in that regard? Does the consumer provide his own router (typically a cheap unsecure piece of junk)....

Leave a comment:

• Charlie W
    replied
    Originally posted by solar pete View Post
    Howdy All,

I found this article today and thought I would post it, cheers.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4017...t-hurt-enphase
    I suspect Tesla has the Powerwall product to utilize spare manufacturing capacity in their so-called gigafactory. Then they can "sell" these things to their Solar City partner. If the merger goes through, it'd be an internal transfer, and they could heavily discount 'em. Makes for an interesting accounting question or three. Given the cost and limited (to put it mildly) genuine market, I find it really hard to take the Powerwall as a genuine stand-alone product in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• solar pete
    replied
    Howdy All,

I found this article today and thought I would post it, cheers.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4017...t-hurt-enphase

Leave a comment:

• extrafu
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie W View Post
    I'm really glad someone else started this thread, so I can merely comment rather than start a whole new one myself.

The average house in that area uses 1,400 kWh/month according to the local utility. Which is 325 kWh a week. Tesla's new Power Wall stores 14 kWh. As the owner of an electric car (long story), I know that lithium batteries hate to be drawn down below 20% state of charge. Yep, you can do it, but do it very often and you KILL the battery life. So that 14 kWh should be called 11.5 kWh of usable capacity. To run the house for a week, we'd need 25 batteries. At $5.500 a pop, that's $137,500.
    Heating your house with batteries will never work - forget about it, take that idea out of your head. If you want to go off-grid and you need heating during winter, look for alternate heating sources like a wood chips/pellets furnace with radiant floors and others.

Converting electricity into heat is a very inefficient process.

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on 's reply
    Anyone have information how they are assembled. Do you have to solder them on the roof the cells together. Probably Click and play easy to install assembly. I doubt its performace would be as efficent as regular solar panel. but its has cosmetic features that would appeal to expensive home buyers market.

• Charlie W
    commented on 's reply
    Solar roof tiles. Oh boy. No, I don't think I'll go there. I will only get nasty. Or nastier, as the case may be.
Working...
X