Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use a 12 volt battery charger to charge a 24 volt battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use a 12 volt battery charger to charge a 24 volt battery?

I have a Stanley Model BC4009 SEL 40A battery charger. Can I use this to put a charge on two 12 volt batteries arranged in series to make a 24 volt battery? Maybe better to say will it blow up the batteries, I can put in on there and see if it will charge. I just don't want a ka-boom moment. Thanks

"NO" you need to disconnect the batteries and charge each one independently, or get a 24 volt charger.
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

No but you can put them in parallel and charge them.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

IF you PROMISE me that you know your own limitations, are wise about SAFETY, and know that the following is for information only - (I have not tried it), you might be able to do something like this:

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/fast...r-charging.htm

Burgerman comes highly respected, but still the onus of responsibility for safety is on you, and you must understand EXACTLY what the wiring does.
        Last edited by PNjunction; 01-26-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

this is very interesting. I have a friend who's father does journeyman electricity. Maybe I'll discuss that set-up with him. But I don't think I'll tackle it on my own.

Comment

I retract my statement. Yes you can charge a 24 volt battery with a 12 volt battery, it is done every day. Catch is it takes a special charge that uses Switch Mode Technology like every RC hobby charger uses like a Revolectrix Power Lab 8. It is bi-directional and can charge in either direction up to 1400 watts. Don't know why I did not think about it before. All you need is the $$$
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X