Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paralleling strings - how many?

Greetings,

I am involved with a marine application where client needs to run 3kW for 2 hours before recharge. I am considering a 4x4 setup of size31 agm batteries. I have heard some say not to place more than 2 strings of batteries in parallel. I would like to know a little more about this. I would like to hear what others have to say regarding this. Either actual experience or internet lore. If you can point to a sticky or manufacturers application note then that might be helpful. I'm not sure but I expect the problem may be related to charging. I have designed large arrays of LiPo using hundreds of cells for commercial airlines which have worked out well so I am curious as to limitations of Lead Acid.

thanks
    powersupplyguy

Originally posted by PowerSupplyGuy View Post
    Greetings,

I am involved with a marine application where client needs to run 3kW for 2 hours before recharge. I am considering a 4x4 setup of size31 agm batteries. I have heard some say not to place more than 2 strings of batteries in parallel. I would like to know a little more about this.
    Marine applications require MUCH more than just slapping in batteries. You will want to RUN, and not walk to these how-to's:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

I have designed large arrays of LiPo using hundreds of cells for commercial airlines which have worked out well so I am curious as to limitations of Lead Acid.
    Er, you have to admit that this READS like a troll.

In any case, as an engineer you should know that LiPo actually refers to the bag or container that can house a variety of li-ion chemistries, although marketing uses this term to usually indicate hobby-type RC modeling batteries. Maybe a 1/8th scale commercial RC airliner perhaps?

To get some hands-on with LiFeP04, and find out the difference between Pb, use the same link above for the lithium project.

You may find that LiFeP04 is better suited for your marine application. While we cover LiFeP04 here, the application is mainly for relatively timid fixed-position solar housebank usage. Marine use for either propulsion or storage has EXTRA requirements that you will want to bone up on to follow ALABC guidelines.

Comment

Howdy powersupplyguy has a IP address that is a spammers, goodbye powersupply guy, last time I checked New Hampshire is not in the middle east.

Comment

Heh, I figured, but I try to compensate with decent info for the lurkers.

Comment

Working...
        X