Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TommyDre
    • Aug 2015

So I have 4 of these cheap batteries

Ad I have them in parallel so they are still 12 volt and the amp hour is questionable. I have them hooked up to my 400 watt Renogy kit with a PWM charge controller. This charges up my AAA, AA, D batteries along with my Macbook. I use a Samlex 450 watt modified sine wave inverter. And I am going to start running a 120 volt electric fence engerizer for my pig fence. that's about all I can see this being good for. Outside of using it for target practice and learning how to destroy batteries, squander money, do you have any suggesting on using this set up any more than I have for now.?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
  • Logan005
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2015

get the cigarette lighter adaptor for your Macbook and a 12 volt electric fence charger and AAA/AA/D battery charger, no need to run an inverter if all your loads are DC, then you may have some power to spare.
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• Logan005
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2015

oh and get an MPPT charge controller.
      4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• PNjunction
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

Ok, at least you know up front that those are industrial STANDBY / UPS agm's - that is these data safe batts are designed ONLY for float charging up to 13.6v max.

The manuals does say that you can go to 14.4v, but only maybe a few times a year. Thus your Renogy controller may actually be burning these up with a standard absorb voltage - that is IF you actually get them fully charged:

http://www.enersys.com/DataSafe_HX_B...?langType=1033

So for goofing, set your charge controllers absorb voltage as low as it will go. If it is a canned-preset, then something like the "gel" may be less detrimental - like 14.0v / 14.1v if it has that setting.

AND, I'd only use one at a time! Many paralleled batteries of obviously used / abused condition are a recipe for disaster.

Anyway, like you've mentioned, I wouldn't spend too much time on them, NOR base any solar experiences you encounter since they are plainly the wrong type of battery to use. The better use for them would be for recycling discounts as core-exchanges.

Thing is, these ARE Enersys agm's, some of the best in the world. They are just designed for a different application. Goofing with them if you try to tone down the charge voltage may get you some usage, although they may already be shot.

At least you know up front that you'll be nursing them to an early grave.

Comment

• TommyDre
          • Aug 2015

I'll see about using them for the recycling discount or core-exhange. And I'm getting a new Charge controller. MPPT type. That standard PWM that came with my panels won't let me adjust anything, and no other setting. it goes to 14.4 and floats at 13.6.

Comment

Working...