voltage higher than 14.4 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voltage higher than 14.4 ?

I am noticing now that it's been colder that the daily -monthly log is showing higher than 14.4. .. Up to 14.7 East PennAGM calling for 14.4 absorption. Should I be concerned or is this cold weather affecting the read out. Mppt claims to have temperature compensation ,batteries right next to.

If the temp comp is working properly, the recharge voltage will increase in cold weather. How much depends on how cold
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

So I should not be worried at 14.56 up to 14.7? And it seems directly related to the change in temperature as I look at the backlog.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
        So I should not be worried at 14.56 up to 14.7? And it seems directly related to the change in temperature as I look at the backlog.
        I would not be worried IF the CC is sensing the battery temperature rather than just the ambient temperature at the CC.

FWIW, some CCs will display the "nominal" voltage output before temperature correction rather than what they are actually delivering. With one of those a voltmeter at the battery or the CC output terminals will give a different reading than the CC's display. The latter value will not change with temperature even though the CC output does.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

It's not a separate temperature probe, just what is supposedly built into the CC. And right next to the batteries it's located. So if during the summer it was always around 14.4, and now higher sounds normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
            It's not a separate temperature probe, just what is supposedly built into the CC. And right next to the batteries it's located. So if during the summer it was always around 14.4, and now higher sounds normal?
            Yes.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Awesome! I'm glad you are doing things like this and asking, *especially* measuring at the terminals!

You may want to see this document from MK (East Penn rebadge) concerning RE usage:

http://www.mkbattery.com/documents/6...%20Rev%204.pdf

Your controller will likely be following the temperature compensation guidelines listed at the bottom of the chart - this is what you are seeing at the battery terminals.

Also find that they recommend - wait for it - an EQ for the agm! BUT, BUT, this is NOT a flooded-voltage eq, but a gentle nudge up to 14.6v, say monthly. This is more commonly seen in the undustrial world for agm's as a "freshening" charge. Highly important, especially for solar and agm users.

Normally, EQ (of the flooded voltage) is not recommended for agm's - that is true, except for Lifeline which has special notes on that.

But many controllers will allow for say a monthly EQ, (so called), but you should do so at a much lower voltage for agm. (Unless you are Lifeline which allows for the "flooded" voltage EQ).

Yeah, it's confusing, but read slowly.

So don't be afraid of it, just know the difference between a "flooded EQ", and an "agm freshening". Unfortunately, many users turn off this EQ for agm, because of the sage advice not to do eq on agm - which is correct, but only because of the much higher flooded voltages associated with a flooded, or specialty battery!

Even if you later decide to run "max smoke" of 14.4v for everything (bulk/absorb/float if you are doing daily cycling) a "freshening charge" for agm, at say 14.6v for a few hours each month is a wise thing to do.

Note that these voltages are ok for the "standard lead-calcium" agm, such as our East Penn's, but for others, mostly pure-lead types, the voltages are higher, in the 14.6 to 14.8v range and any user of those batteries should consult their own manufacturers charts or recommendations.

WARNING WARNING for gel users!

Any gel user consulting this chart would be wise to consult the ORIGINAL EAST PENN voltage documentation for gel, which have lower voltages. Note that gel and agm are basically lumped together in this chart, which is a recent phenomenon. Just wanted to point that out. Gel in solar requires that you need to be VERY on top of your game, or you'll just flush cash fast.

Last edited by PNjunction; 11-18-2016, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X