Historical battery book review (modern!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Historical battery book review (modern!)

Some great light reading for us battery freaks released in 2015/2016 ...

INNOVATORS IN BATTERY TECHNOLOGY
    Profiles of 93 Influential Electrochemists

Kevin Desmond
    McFarland & Company Inc

Oh wow. What a great read. Helps to have some understanding of battery chemistry for maximum enjoyment, and the personal information about the men and women in the field, from past to present keep it from being just a dry technical history book.

While each electrochemists work is discussed, it is not a full chemical textbook describing every single detail of their work, but enough for us battery geeks to get excited about, and normal people to enjoy the human life-work-play aspect they each enjoy.

It is presented in alphabetical fashion, not in a historical timeline, so you can jump around if you like.

Funny how it reveals that some of today's investor-bait (um technical breakthroughs), have already been worked on for more than a century, but the wheel has come full circle.

For me, I could easily see building a curriculum around it if I was in the teaching field - well maybe for budding chemistry students who needed a "large picture" of the battery field at large before diving into a narrow subset.

Oddly enough, I got the paperback version, although I suppose the best way to show respect would have been to get the e-book version.
Working...