Tesla Powerwall DOA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Powerwall DOA

Hate to say I told you so, but the Tesla Powerwall is DOA before it even hit the market. What killed it? Well i hope I helped by pointing out the HORRIBLE ECONOMICS of BATTERY SYSTEMS

Source Info which is one of many sources.
    MSEE, PE

But that only mentions the larger (10kWh) of the 2 units designed by Tesla as being DOA. The smaller 7 kWh (which is now shown in other places as only a 6.3kWh system) is still being rolled out and tested in other countries.

Comment

It really irks me when sites like the one above do not include dates (when posted or written)... I think that news piece is over 3 months old.

Comment

Originally posted by cebury View Post
        It really irks me when sites like the one above do not include dates (when posted or written)... I think that news piece is over 3 months old.
        Like I said one of many links. How many do you need?

Perhaps 1
        Perhaps 2 from Green Mafia.
        Perhaps 3 more Green Mafia
        Perhaps 4 from the Hard Left Media

How many links do I need to find for you? Pick you rpoison, Hard Left, Hard Right, or the middle.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Well...that is no surprise. Tesla needs to focus on the looming model 3 launch...maybe those 500 cycle 10kwh batteries will be repurposed for the electric car of the working man...
          Last edited by Eleceng1979; 06-14-2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cebury View Post
            Maybe it took that long for the news to travel to panama.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Yeah this is old news. The "daily" Powerwall is still alive and kicking. It's not surprising at all to me that there wasn't much demand for the 10kwh super-expensive battery that is only for use infrequently as a backup source.

Comment

While the smaller 6.3kWh system is still being pushed it is still way too expensive for just about anywhere in the US unless someone is getting it for free as a beta test sight.

Comment

I heard they are testing them in Hawaii. Tesla said 3k but after it actually gets to you you're talking 7-9k. I watched a guy on Youtube make a 4.4kwh for $300 bucks using laptop batteries. You can also buy the batteries on ebay from wrecked Teslas.

Comment

Originally posted by dex View Post
                    I heard they are testing them in Hawaii. Tesla said 3k but after it actually gets to you you're talking 7-9k. I watched a guy on Youtube make a 4.4kwh for $300 bucks using laptop batteries. You can also buy the batteries on ebay from wrecked Teslas.
                    And you can purchase used Leaf batteries. There are any number of ways to build your own energy storage system but I keep bringing it back to the general public. They will need an Engineered safe designed system that will pay for itself.

Hawaii would be the first place in the US it should work due to their very high electric rates. But if the true cost is $7- $9k for a 6.3kWh system the electric rates would have to be very high.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

And you can purchase used Leaf batteries. There are any number of ways to build your own energy storage system but I keep bringing it back to the general public. They will need an Engineered safe designed system that will pay for itself.

Hawaii would be the first place in the US it should work due to their very high electric rates. But if the true cost is $7- $9k for a 6.3kWh system the electric rates would have to be very high.

They are very high and currently the power company isn't letting anyone else on the grid right now.

Comment

I'm not sure how Adara stacks up to Tesla but that's the only one I've seen that looks really appealing

Comment

Originally posted by dex View Post
                          I'm not sure how Adara stacks up to Tesla but that's the only one I've seen that looks really appealing
                          I think someone made a post about Enphase batteries being tested in Australia. They are rated less kWh then the Tesla but their cost is lower and can be stacked to make a larger system. IMO they are still very expensive.

Comment

Definitely too expensive. Last time I spoke to Adara they were 9k for a 8.6kwh setup.

Enphase really interests me. Since each panel has their own inverter it's much easier to expand your array. Then being able to add a few batteries makes it even better

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I think someone made a post about Enphase batteries being tested in Australia. They are rated less kWh then the Tesla but their cost is lower and can be stacked to make a larger system. IMO they are still very expensive.

Comment

For now we do 3KW type power wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X