DIY Charging system for 48 volt batteries from generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Charging system for 48 volt batteries from generator

I have been searching for sometime on the following and have found a lot of information but have not found the exact info. I have a diesel generator that produces a constant voltage for a 48 volt DC system (60 volts) and approx. 15 amps DC. I am trying to find out if I can use a solar controller to control charging rates for AGM battery bank. This would be a separate secondary system that would be used for long winter cloudy periods when my panels do not provide enough. Wondering if anyone has built a similar system. Will I need to wire in a diversion/dump controller ? Any information or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

If this in to back up to a solar system, you really do not need anything. Just run the genny, and monitor the current. When current starts to taper off, battery is charged. Only real problem I see is the genny 48 volt 15 amp is not a lot of power for a 48 volt system. Example if the batteries are really small, say 180 Amp Hours, is going to take a long time to recharge.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
    X