what to do with batteries for a cold northern ontario winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with batteries for a cold northern ontario winter

What do most people do with their batteries in extreme cold climate in the winter where the temperature will dip to -40 celcius occasionally and -25 is pretty constant for about 2 months. I am using lead acid batteries, 10 6v 205AH. I will be using the system lightly maybe four times over the winter. I can also do without the system for the winter. Thanks for your feedback

Originally posted by johnmorin View Post
    What do most people do with their batteries in extreme cold climate in the winter where the temperature will dip to -40 celcius occasionally and -25 is pretty constant for about 2 months. I am using lead acid batteries, 10 6v 205AH. I will be using the system lightly maybe four times over the winter. I can also do without the system for the winter. Thanks for your feedback
    A fully charged flooded lead acid battery will not freeze above -69c

Comment

If the system is going to be idle for the winter, charge the batteries up, top off the electrolyte, and the next day, charge again to make sure it's all mixed well Hang a PV panel vertically above the snow line, facing south, or the most hopeful direction, and let the system float all winter, if you can, cut back your ABSORB time and Voltage, because the batteries are now in FLOAT service and not CYCLE service. Be sure to reset it all in the spring when you come back.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
      X