No announcement yet.

Need help figuring out if connection of batteries/solar charger/UPS is correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help figuring out if connection of batteries/solar charger/UPS is correct

Dear All,

I am very happy to see this amazing site and the many very helpful posts.

The set up I have is the following:

1. 3000W power inverter

2. TWO 150AMP gel batteries

3. FOUR 250 watt solar panels.

The batteries are connected to solar control charge unit .

And the batteries are also connected to a 3000 Watt power inverter/UPS ‎ pure sin wave

So the batteries are getting charged from two sources :

1. Solar panels via the sun
    2. Generator ( mostly used when there is no sun or at night)

My estimated load is about 700 watts.

1.) What I want to know is when there is sun , is my inverter charging and giving us power or is only giving us power? And can I manage this using the solar charge control unit ?

2.) If I want our batteries to charge faster and be able to last us longer , Is there such an option or configuration that can be done using the solar charger control unit ?

3.) On the inverter there is a red button that has three options ( Unit off , Power saver auto , and Power saver off ) . What is the difference between Power saver auto and Power saver off?

I can provide with any brochures and diagrams needed.

Thank you in advance and really hope to hear some good advise.

David Naji

Originally posted by David Naji View Post
    Dear All,

I am very happy to see this amazing site and the many very helpful posts.

The set up I have is the following:

1. 3000W power inverter

2. TWO 150AMP gel batteries

3. FOUR 250 watt solar panels.

The batteries are connected to solar control charge unit .

And the batteries are also connected to a 3000 Watt power inverter/UPS ‎ pure sin wave

So the batteries are getting charged from two sources :

1. Solar panels via the sun
    2. Generator ( mostly used when there is no sun or at night)

My estimated load is about 700 watts.

1.) What I want to know is when there is sun , is my inverter charging and giving us power or is only giving us power? And can I manage this using the solar charge control unit ?

2.) If I want our batteries to charge faster and be able to last us longer , Is there such an option or configuration that can be done using the solar charger control unit ?

3.) On the inverter there is a red button that has three options ( Unit off , Power saver auto , and Power saver off ) . What is the difference between Power saver auto and Power saver off?

I can provide with any brochures and diagrams needed.

Thank you in advance and really hope to hear some good advise.

David Naji
    1. I doubt that the inverter can serve as a solar charge controller (CC) at the same time that it is inverting, but I would need to know more about the particular model you have.
    2. Adding a solar CC would allow the panels to charge the batteries (or provide some of the current to operate the inverter, saving battery capacity) regardless of what the inverter is doing.
    3. The power saver is a feature that lets the inverter essentially shut down and check periodically for the presence or a load. If there is a load, the inverter comes up to full power.
    Since an inverter with no load will still consume power, dropping down into Power Saver mode can save battery drain. But some loads (like time clocks and refrigerators with electronic controls cannot tolerate that kind of power cycling. For that reason you can disable the feature.

Typical GEL batteries are not ideal for PV since they cannot be recharged fully in a short time (like while the panels are producing well.)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

In short that system has a LOT of things wrong
      Gel batteries
      Way too much solar for the battery capacity
      Those two things are what stood out from a quick glance
      NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        1. I doubt that the inverter can serve as a solar charge controller (CC) at the same time that it is inverting, but I would need to know more about the particular model you have.
        2. Adding a solar CC would allow the panels to charge the batteries (or provide some of the current to operate the inverter, saving battery capacity) regardless of what the inverter is doing.
        3. The power saver is a feature that lets the inverter essentially shut down and check periodically for the presence or a load. If there is a load, the inverter comes up to full power.
        Since an inverter with no load will still consume power, dropping down into Power Saver mode can save battery drain. But some loads (like time clocks and refrigerators with electronic controls cannot tolerate that kind of power cycling. For that reason you can disable the feature.

Typical GEL batteries are not ideal for PV since they cannot be recharged fully in a short time (like while the panels are producing well.)

Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything to me . And to clarify on some of your points :

1.) I have a power inverter and I also have CC . But as you will see in the diagram attached each device is connected to the batteries directly but the are not connected with each other. ( Below are the links with all descriptions for the CC and inverter )

http://copexsolar.com/vs-series/vs4548n/
        http://www.mashonline.ca/index.php/p...equency-detail

2.) CC is already installed and the diagram will elaborate more .

3.) I am running a server that needs to be on 24/7 so I am guessing that based on your advise I should have the switch to power on and NOT to power saver mode.

And since you advise against gel batteries with solar , what would you say would be our best option of batteries?

Basically I really would appreciate if you can advise if we have our equipment ratios correct or if you suggest we should add panels or batteries to help us reach 24/7 operation.

Currently we operate as follows :

7:00 AM - 8:00PM ( All by using the sun )

8:00PM -10:00 PM : Switch the generator on to charge the batteries .

10:00 PM- 1:00 AM : Using the power in the batteries we charged using the generator.

1:00 AM - 4:00 AM : Switch the generator on to charge the batteries .

Again I am so grateful and appreciative for your help.

Thanks .

David Naji
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
          Gel batteries
          Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to reply .

What would you say would be a more efficient ratio based on the 4 solar panels I have ?

Comment

Originally posted by David Naji View Post
            Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything to me . And to clarify on some of your points :

1.) I have a power inverter and I also have CC . But as you will see in the diagram attached each device is connected to the batteries directly but the are not connected with each other. ( Below are the links with all descriptions for the CC and inverter )

http://copexsolar.com/vs-series/vs4548n/
            http://www.mashonline.ca/index.php/p...equency-detail

2.) CC is already installed and the diagram will elaborate more .

3.) I am running a server that needs to be on 24/7 so I am guessing that based on your advise I should have the switch to power on and NOT to power saver mode.

And since you advise against gel batteries with solar , what would you say would be our best option of batteries?

Basically I really would appreciate if you can advise if we have our equipment ratios correct or if you suggest we should add panels or batteries to help us reach 24/7 operation.

Currently we operate as follows :

7:00 AM - 8:00PM ( All by using the sun )

8:00PM -10:00 PM : Switch the generator on to charge the batteries .

10:00 PM- 1:00 AM : Using the power in the batteries we charged using the generator.

1:00 AM - 4:00 AM : Switch the generator on to charge the batteries .

Again I am so grateful and appreciative for your help.

Thanks .

David Naji

Sir,

I know my current system is not ideal and needs a lot of improving, so I will try and simplify the matter and hope that I get your advise in what seems to be a field you are extremely capable and knowledgeable ‎in. And also so generous as to take the time to explain to me.

Based on the equipment I already have, and if needed adding/replacing equipment what would you suggest for me to do to have the below scenario :

7am- 6pm : I have the whole site operate of the solar panels while having the batteries charged to full.

And from after 6pm till as how long as possible continue running of the charge of the batteries ‎that was generated by the solar panels.

And of course topping of the batteries with a generator charge to last me to the n‎ext morning.

As I mentioned in my last post the batteries I have now take too long to charge and are very quick to go empty, which requires from me to charge them via generator all throughout the night.

Again I appreciate all your help and support with me and I honestly consider your advise as a huge favour as unfortunately in my country the level of knowledge and experience in this field is extremely limited and I am not able to get the ‎right and useful information.

Thanks again and I am truly in debt to your help.

David Naji

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
              Gel batteries

Sir,

I know my current system is not ideal and needs a lot of improving, so I will try and simplify the matter and hope that I get your advise in what seems to be a field you are extremely capable and knowledgeable ‎in. And also so generous as to take the time to explain to me.

Based on the equipment I already have, and if needed adding/replacing equipment what would you suggest for me to do to have the below scenario :

7am- 6pm : I have the whole site operate of the solar panels while having the batteries charged to full.

And from after 6pm till as how long as possible continue running of the charge of the batteries ‎that was generated by the solar panels.

And of course topping of the batteries with a generator charge to last me to the n‎ext morning.

As I mentioned in my last post the batteries I have now take too long to charge and are very quick to go empty, which requires from me to charge them via generator all throughout the night.

Again I appreciate all your help and support with me and I honestly consider your advise as a huge favour as unfortunately in my country the level of knowledge and experience in this field is extremely limited and I am not able to get the ‎right and useful information.

Thanks again and I am truly in debt to your help.

David Naji

Comment

Working...
              X