Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by free man View Post
    what size battery you think?
    You tell us what size battery you are going to use. It all depends on how long you want to run the lights each night

Battery AH = ([4.8 watts x Hours Per Night] x 5) / 12 volts

Example running lights 12 hours per night.

([ 4.8 x 12] x 5) / 12
    ( 57.6 x 5) /12
    288 / 12
    = 24 AH minimum @ 12 volts

Something like a Concorde GPL-U1T battery would be an excellent choice. It is a 12 volt 33 AH AGM battery.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

amy,

would the sunsaver ss-10l-12v work? looks to be similar to the sl, and if i understand correctly, it just doesn't have a lighting control switch. i don't think i'll need that function as the set-up will be hooked into a dusk-to-dawn photocell switch.

please correct me if i am wrong, but the important things i'll need are a controller that will prevent overcharging the battery and a low voltage disconnect to protect the battery if it gets too low. from what i can tell this unit has that, and it'll save a bit of money, excluding the feature i don't need.

thanks.

Comment

what gauge wiring for all of this? would 18 ga be sufficient?

any particular brand of panels y'all would recommend? any to steer clear of?

thanks a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          You tell us what size battery you are going to use. It all depends on how long you want to run the lights each night

Battery AH = ([4.8 watts x Hours Per Night] x 5) / 12 volts

Example running lights 12 hours per night.

([ 4.8 x 12] x 5) / 12
          ( 57.6 x 5) /12
          288 / 12
          = 24 AH minimum @ 12 volts

Something like a Concorde GPL-U1T battery would be an excellent choice. It is a 12 volt 33 AH AGM battery.

makes sense... thank you for setting me straight, and thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

amy,

would the sunsaver ss-10l-12v work? looks to be similar to the sl, and if i understand correctly, it just doesn't have a lighting control switch. i don't think i'll need that function as the set-up will be hooked into a dusk-to-dawn photocell switch.

please correct me if i am wrong, but the important things i'll need are a controller that will prevent overcharging the battery and a low voltage disconnect to protect the battery if it gets too low. from what i can tell this unit has that, and it'll save a bit of money, excluding the feature i don't need.

thanks.
            Yes, the SunSaver 10-L will do charging and LVD.
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

what gauge wiring for all of this? would 18 ga be sufficient?

any particular brand of panels y'all would recommend? any to steer clear of?

thanks a bunch.
              I did a video on wire sizing. Look on YouTube for "wiring your solar electric system". As for brands, you won't find many well known brands in that small size. Avoid the Northern Tool / Harbor Freight 45W kit, it's 3 15W panels that are junk. Ameresco makes the old BP Solar panels, those are good, but again, not sure what you can get in your area.
              Solar Queen
              altE Store

Comment

thanks for the video. gonna have to watch it when i have more time.

as for the panel, i'm thinking maybe this one will work.

Comment

Wise man.
                  Solar Queen
                  altE Store

Comment

The website says there is a long lead time, but I think they still have a couple available. They are waiting for the next batch on a very slow boat from China.
                    Solar Queen
                    altE Store

Comment

another set of questions please...sort of unrelated, but this project has got me thinking about another one...

what size panel would i need to re-charge a small 8Ah battery running a single 1.2 watt bulb in a different location? could i get a away with a 10-12W panel? with a panel that small would i still need a charge controller?

would a 1.2 watt bulb running 12 hours completely drain the 8Ah battery in those 12 hours?

thanks.

Comment

1.2W x 12 hours = 14.4Wh / 12V = 1.2Ah. The 8Ah battery would be fine. 10W panel x 5 sun hours x 50% losses = 25Wh. Since the battery is also small, you would still need a charge controller, like the Morningstar SunGuard 4.
                        Solar Queen
                        altE Store

Comment

Working...
                        X