X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery with 1 cell low SG

Solar group,

I have a 440 ah - 48 volt battery bank which consists of (8) 12 v batteries
    in (2) strings. I have one battery that consistantly reads low compared to the rest.
    I have tried equalizing using my system - bringing the bank up to 62 volts for 1.5 hours.
    Don't want to push it. This one battery has a cell that was reading 1.26 SG when the
    rest were 1.275 to 1.28. To add insult to injury - I happened to overfill that cell when
    watering them and now it's 1.23 campared to 1.27. These batteries are 15 months old,
    but they sat for 13 months on a solar charger in parrallel.

1) Now I could remove this battery and get it warrantied?
    2) Change out the whole bank?
    3) Change out both banks?
    4) Leave it alone and watch it for a while?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Bill
    1kwGrape,6kwSharp,3CL150
    XW6048-440 ah @ 48vdc

what is the brand and model of the battery?
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by BMAD View Post
      S I happened to overfill that cell when
      watering them and now it's 1.23 campared to 1.27.
      There is your problem. You spilled acid out and you cannot replace acid. You diluted it and thus will never reach the specified SG.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        There is your problem. You spilled acid out and you cannot replace acid. You diluted it and thus will never reach the specified SG.
        So basically I now have a bad cell? This wasn't spilled out it was overfilled. They are US battery 185HCXC?

Suggestions?
        1kwGrape,6kwSharp,3CL150
        XW6048-440 ah @ 48vdc

Comment

Originally posted by BMAD View Post
          So basically I now have a bad cell? This wasn't spilled out it was overfilled. They are US battery 185HCXC?

Suggestions?
          If there was none spilled and just ovefilled, you can fix it. I am very familiar with the battery but it will take an AC powered charger to fix it. First put it through the normal charge cycle at 2.45 vpc or 14.7 volts. Then apply a EQ charge at 2.55 vpc or 15.3 volts until the SG equalizes.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
          X