Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serial connection of 2V AGM cells - cable length between each battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial connection of 2V AGM cells - cable length between each battery?

I have a rack of 2 sets of 6 pcs of 2V AGM batteries currently set up as a 12V battery. I have upgraded my inverter to a 5000w 24v unit and need to reconnect my 12 batteries to one string of 2V cells giving 24v.

Some of you might remember this one. Each cell in my current setup has four connecting cables between them. The two 12v strings are mounted on top of eachother.
    DSC_0357.jpg

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...nect-the-cabel

The question:
    How important is it that the cable(s) between my two strings of six 2V cells have exactly the same capacity as the one's between each cell in the current setuP?

For practical reasons I can't make one long row of batteries all with the same interconnection, but I can of course increase the size of the cable connecting the batteries on the ground floor with those on 1st floor (of my battery cabinet that is)

As a second element the current distance from battery number six at the lower level to battery number seven at the level above , is 5 feet.
    If I take on the work rearranging the upper 6 batteries 180° the distance will be 1.5 feet, a must do or just smart?

Advice and comments highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Roil; 02-07-2015, 02:49 AM. Reason: photo
    --------------------
    Norwegian off grid cabin owner
    Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
    - Tristar 60A MPPT
    - Victron 3000w/12V / 120A

Originally posted by Roil View Post
    As a second element the current distance from battery number six at the lower level to battery number seven at the level above , is 5 feet.
    If I take on the work rearranging the upper 6 batteries 180° the distance will be 1.5 feet, a must do or just smart?

Advice and comments highly appreciated.
    I can help you out here. The first piece of information here needed i show much current are we talking about which was answered by 24 volt 2000 watt inverter requires 200 amps. The second piece of info needed is the distance and you gave that of 2 to 5 feet. Distance wise is not long enough to have any significant effect on voltage drop assuming we use a large enough cable to safely handle the current. Being this is a Free Air installation allows us some wiggle room of being able to use a bit smaller less expensive cable. We just have to guard against going to small so as to bring voltage drop into play.

But here is the bottom line.

Free Air requires a 1/0 AWG copper
    In a Race Way requires 3/0 AWG

If it were me and knowing the availability of cable and connectors I would use 2/0 AWG Extra Flex or RHH/DLO
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you Sunking

I had some 70mm2 cable available, similar to 2/0. I used 3 of them. Probably overkill but no harm I presume?
      --------------------
      Norwegian off grid cabin owner
      Panels facing south

- Kyocera panels 135W
      - Tristar 60A MPPT
      - Victron 3000w/12V / 120A

Comment

Originally posted by Roil View Post
        Thank you Sunking

I had some 70mm2 cable available, similar to 2/0. I used 3 of them. Probably overkill but no harm I presume?
        No problem over sizing cables if your wallet can tolerate it.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X