Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what can i have on hand to covert grid tie to off grid if utility is off for long te

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what can i have on hand to covert grid tie to off grid if utility is off for long te

Hello,
    i have a newly installed 4kw grid-tie system that i installed myself
    16 solar world 275
    16 enphase m 250

system is working great!
    I am however interested in exploring options of using the panels for off grid in case of long term utility disruption (for any reason) not for 1 day or a week but for doom and gloom kinda stuff

i would like to have on hand but not in service until needed if there was and event.
    basically disconnect my panels from the m250s and connect to a charging system of some sort with storage.

i have and an abundance of small 12v dc 13Ah batteries. work changes them every 4 years but they last almost twice that. i could make a big bank of 24 or 48 volts.

they are (thin plate pure lead battery for demanding environmental and cycling applications)
    maybe these are usable maybe not. there are just available and could be used???

maybe not all 16 panels need to go to 1 charger? 3kw for 1 larger charger and 1kw for my batteries for lights overnight.
    I don't know. just looking for opinions and options.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

First thing you need is a 600V string Charge Controller
    Schneider/Xantrex
    and Morningstar make them. They are the only 2 firms I know of with a high voltage (600V) controller. it will be a $1,500 box that sits in your garage, to charge the batteries that start to die they day they are made. And then you will need a 48V inverter, transfer switch, and a bunch of wiring.

Or you can install a transfer switch and a moderate (6Kw) genset to get you through a couple days outage.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
    X