Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 from carquest -- is this any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Originally posted by Naptown View Post
    Wo Wo Wo stop
    LOL

Why are you thinking of going off grid?
    I see your concern but its multiple reasons. 1. Our power grid is very unreliable, I am without power for weeks/months every year in the hurricane season.
    2. The power company here adds 'fuel charges' that fluctuate monthly, resulting in powerbills varying from $400 to sometimes $800 a month, for a 3 bed room house, without running a/c.
    I changed my stove, dryer and water heater to propane, this helped a lot already. I am selling my house and building a cottage in a remote area, I plan to take my solar set up with me eventually.

Does the local government allow grid tie and net metering?
    No they dont. It is illegal to produce power for others than your own use and feed it back to the grid.

If they allow this stop the battery quest and do a grid tie. for what you will spend you can purchase twice as much as much solar and save 2-3 times what you would be saving on the electric bill alone not counting battery replacement.
    I understand. So if I scale it down to just lights, tv and fridge I dont need as much panels then?

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    STOP NOW.

Taking anything off-grid when you have the grid available is just plain foolish. Why on earth would you want to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity the rest of your life? That is just plain ignorant.

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob View Post
    This is so true. I notice some youtubers have solar set ups that dont make any sense or are totally opposite of what I have read here or on other solar forums.

Ok, update.. I have ordered 2x 285w panels from Sunelec in miami, they have good prices especially if you pick it up in person.

I will go with a 24 V system, a 60 Amp mppt charge controller and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter for now.

(my starting goal is to run some fans, phone chargers, computer, tv, maybe some lights this year.
    Eventually after I order more panels I want my 7 amp fridge and maybe washer to be on it)

Question 1: Now I am guessing I need 4x 6V batteries in series before I hook anything up?
    Question 2: Does it make sense buying a larger pure sine inverter now, seeing that I want more stuff on it in the near future (end 2013-2014) and what size?

3: My other remaining questions are the wire sizes. I want to keep an eye on my brother in law electrician's decisions on wire sizes.

-wire size from panels to charge controller? (25 feet long)
    -wire size from charge controller to batteries? (on same wall)
    -wire size from batteries to inverter? (on same wall)

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. My power bill is around $500 without running A/c. Welcome to the Bahamas! :/
    Wo Wo Wo stop

Why are you thinking of going off grid?
    Does the local government allow grid tie and net metering?
    If they allow this stop the battery quest and do a grid tie. for what you will spend you can purchase twice as much as much solar and save 2-3 times what you would be saving on the electric bill alone not counting battery replacement.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Originally posted by inetdog View Post
    I hope that you rely a lot more on what you learn here than what you see on YouTube. One of the problems that is that unless you already understand the topic you cannot distinguish the good stuff (which there is!) from the 95+% BS.
    This is so true. I notice some youtubers have solar set ups that dont make any sense or are totally opposite of what I have read here or on other solar forums.

Ok, update.. I have ordered 2x 285w panels from Sunelec in miami, they have good prices especially if you pick it up in person.

I will go with a 24 V system, a 60 Amp mppt charge controller and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter for now.

(my starting goal is to run some fans, phone chargers, computer, tv, maybe some lights this year.
    Eventually after I order more panels I want my 7 amp fridge and maybe washer to be on it)

Question 1: Now I am guessing I need 4x 6V batteries in series before I hook anything up?
    Question 2: Does it make sense buying a larger pure sine inverter now, seeing that I want more stuff on it in the near future (end 2013-2014) and what size?

3: My other remaining questions are the wire sizes. I want to keep an eye on my brother in law electrician's decisions on wire sizes.

-wire size from panels to charge controller? (25 feet long)
    -wire size from charge controller to batteries? (on same wall)
    -wire size from batteries to inverter? (on same wall)

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. My power bill is around $500 without running A/c. Welcome to the Bahamas! :/

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Yeah, I noticed I know way more stuff than him and thats just from reading this and other forums and watching countless youtube videos!
    I hope that you rely a lot more on what you learn here than what you see on YouTube. One of the problems that is that unless you already understand the topic you cannot distinguish the good stuff (which there is!) from the 95+% BS.

Leave a comment:

• Rybren
    replied
    Very rough rule of thumb (I think that there's a chart on here somewhere)

up to 1000W Inverter on 12V
    up to 2000W inverter on 24V

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Need to find a different Electrician, one who knows something.
    Yeah, I noticed I know way more stuff than him and thats just from reading this and other forums and watching countless youtube videos!

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    My electrician who is tinkering with solar told me to keep it 12 v for now. All input is welcomed.
    Need to find a different Electrician, one who knows something.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Originally posted by Rybren View Post
    A 2500W inverter on a 12V system might be a bit much. That would be a huge draw ~ 200A (I assume that you're going with 12V - you said you wanted 2 x 6V GC2)
    Ok, I am planning on buying 2 more by the end of the year. You suggest that I wait until I have all 4 batteries before I hook it up? I was hoping to start with 2x285 v panels and 2 6v batteries this summer. Yes a 12 volt system for now. Not good? Does it need to be 24v? My electrician who is tinkering with solar told me to keep it 12 v for now. All input is welcomed.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rybren
    replied
    Yes I was thinking a 60 amp morning star mppt charger and a 2500 pure sine wave inverter.
    A 2500W inverter on a 12V system might be a bit much. That would be a huge draw ~ 200A (I assume that you're going with 12V - you said you wanted 2 x 6V GC2)

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Do not even think about a PWM controller. PWM is for toys like a dildo.

Here is the deal. To get the full 60 amps out of a PWM Charge controller you have to use very expensive battery panels to the tune of 1100 watts. Battery panels will cost you around $3/watt. If you use less expensive Grid tied panels at around $1 to $2/watt all it takes is 700 to 800 watts to get the same 60 amps. Run that equation through the protein calculator. Otherwise use a calculator made from sand if you lack a protein calculator. Let the girls charge their toys with PWM. Men use MPPT.
    Ok clear enough. Just checking.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Do you think because we have such a pletera of sunshine here, my house is fully exposed, I can get away with a xantrex c60 PWM for now?
    Do not even think about a PWM controller. PWM is for toys like a dildo.

Here is the deal. To get the full 60 amps out of a PWM Charge controller you have to use very expensive battery panels to the tune of 1100 watts. Battery panels will cost you around $3/watt. If you use less expensive Grid tied panels at around $1 to $2/watt all it takes is 700 to 800 watts to get the same 60 amps. Run that equation through the protein calculator. Otherwise use a calculator made from sand if you lack a protein calculator. Let the girls charge their toys with PWM. Men use MPPT.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Yes to the last line
    hahaha .. ok.

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    Yes to the last line

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    All I want is my 3 bedroom ceiling fans on it and my fridge, and my washing machine ocasionally.
    No airconditioning. I already have a propane waterheater and propane stove.
    I want my bank to be 4 x 6v batteries by this winter. This year 4x145 dmsolar panels. Next year 4 more.

Do you think because we have such a pletera of sunshine here, my house is fully exposed, I can get away with a xantrex c60 PWM for now?
    Or should I stop being a pussy and just get the 60a MPPT one time and done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X