Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 from carquest -- is this any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Ok ok.. I am coming back tomorrow
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    1. Here is what I came up with:
    3 x 52" ceiling fans 8 hrs/day (How many watts does each fan use? Need watt hours watts x hours all you gave is hours and units. Need 3 x 8 hours x watts)
    3xcomputer 4 hrs/day Same as above
    3x15w fluorescent bulbs 8 hrs/day (security lights at night) (OK = 360

watt hours
    )

1x 4 cu. ft. fridge 1.6Amp .. all day? Jibberish. What voltage? How many hours. Need Watt Hours in a day
    1xrouter/wifi More Jiobberish, need watt hours
    1x19" tv (not flat screen) 3 hrs/day How many watts? Need watt hours
    4x15w fluorescent bulbs 5 hrs/day (dining room, bedroom, living room, kitchen but not all on at same time) How many hours? Need watt hours

Sounds like a Broken Record. Need data to answer. All I know is you have given me is 360 Watt hours a day to power 3 x 15 watts lights for 8 hours. Just that alone will take a 150 watt panel ($200 to $300), 10 amp MPPT controller ($100 or more), and a 12 volt 150 AH battery ($150) Total right now for 3 lights is $350 to $450. Do you want more? That is cheap. To get more gets real expensive becaus all you have given thus far is 3 small potatoes. Can't make soup with just 3 small potatoes.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied

3 x 52" ceiling fans 8 hrs/day (How many watts does each fan use? Need watt hours watts x hours all you gave is hours and units. Need 3 x 8 hours x watts)
    3xcomputer 4 hrs/day Same as above
    3x15w fluorescent bulbs 8 hrs/day (security lights at night) (OK 3 x 15 watts x 8 hours = 360 watt hours)
    1x 4 cu. ft. fridge 1.6Amp .. all day? Jibberish. What voltage? How many hours. Need Watt Hours in a day
    1xrouter/wifi More Jiobberish, need watt hours
    1x19" tv (not flat screen) 3 hrs/day How many watts? Need watt hours
    4x15w fluorescent bulbs 5 hrs/day (dining room, bedroom, living room, kitchen but not all on at same time) How many hours? Need watt hours

Sounds like a Broken Record. Need data to answer. All I know is you have given me is 360 Watt hours a day to power 3 x 15 watts lights for 8 hours. Just that alone will take a 150 watt panel ($200 to $300), 10 amp MPPT controller ($100 or more), and a 12 volt 150 AH battery ($150) Total right now for 3 lights is $350 to $450. Do you want more? That is cheap. To get more gets real expensive becaus all you have given thus far is 3 small potatoes. Can't make soup with just 3 small potatoes.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    No reason to be. Get a pencil and paper out and work the numbers. Math does not lie. It is advocates, supporters, politicians, and people with agendas who lie.

1. Determine your maximum daily Watt Hour Usage
    2. Determine worse case Solar Insolation of the year. In your case December January of roughly 3.5 Sun Hours in December/January
    3. Calculate Equipment needed.
    4. Price it out including material and hardware.
    5. Considering you are in the Bahamas battery quality and selection will be limited. Most likely locally the best you can get is 2 or 3 year batteries.
    6. Assuming the batteries will need replaced every 3 years determine replacement cost for up to 9 years assuming 5% higher cost each replacement cycle. Add in the equipment cost and calculate how much per Kwh will cost you over 10 years.

That should give you a very clear picture of what is really happening. My guess is you will not like what you see as the truth can be very ugly sometimes.

Good luck.
    Ok excuses for the delay, I was working on a project the last days.

I always had the set up as mentioned in #3 or #4 in mind http://www.backwoodssolar.com/reference/examples.htm
    The solar watts recommended are calculated for the northern US, and are about 60% higher than needed in the desert Southwest or the Caribbean. In really sunny climates, you can use the equipment list and cost from one example, and expect to receive benefits more like the next larger example.

3 x 52" ceiling fans 8 hrs/day
    3xcomputer 4 hrs/day
    3x15w fluorescent bulbs 8 hrs/day (security lights at night)
    1x 4 cu. ft. fridge 1.6Amp .. all day?
    1xrouter/wifi
    1x19" tv (not flat screen) 3 hrs/day
    4x15w fluorescent bulbs 5 hrs/day (dining room, bedroom, living room, kitchen but not all on at same time)

2. 3.5

-for now 2x285 w/24v solar panels $222.30 each http://www.sunelec.com/Specs/JA285.pdf
    -Morningstar MPPT 60a cc w/o led screen $506.40
    -samlex 2000 w/24v inverter $619.99 (??) or in case I stay 12v: a Sunforce 11260 2500 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/12 v $311.93
    -4x6v batteries carquest local price $205 or in case I stay 12 v: 2x6v batteries carquest local price $205

4. all cabling, breakers, fuses, etc will be free. (my bro in law owns electrical supply store and he owes me)

5. carquest 6v batteries as discussed earlier in this thread. Trojans are $300 each here
    6. You can start shooting at the noob now.

7. On a side note, regardless of the costs, can I run that 4 cu. ft. fridge 1.6Amp with this set up.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob View Post
    Would it be interesting for discussion to post my costs
    ?
    Sure also include local electricity cost. I can run the numbers is 15 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    No reason to be. Get a pencil and paper out and work the numbers. Math does not lie. It is advocates, supporters, politicians, and people with agendas who lie.

2. Determine worse case Solar Insolation of the year. In your case December January of roughly 3.5 Sun Hours in December/January
    5. Considering you are in the Bahamas battery quality and selection will be limited. Most likely locally the best you can get is 2 or 3 year batteries.
    6. Assuming the batteries will need replaced every 3 years determine replacement cost for up to 9 years assuming 5% higher cost each replacement cycle. Add in the equipment cost and calculate how much per Kwh will cost you over 10 years.

That should give you a very clear picture of what is really happening. My guess is you will not like what you see as the truth can be very ugly sometimes.

Good luck.
    Would it be interesting for discussion to post my costs
    ?

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied

Good luck.
    Thanks agAin though. You are keeping things in perspective.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied

5. Considering you are in the Bahamas battery hquality and selection will be limited. Most likely locally the best you can get is 2 or 3 year batteries.
    6. Assuming the batteries will need replaced every 3 years determine replacement cost for up to 9 years assuming 5% higher cost each mreplacement cycle. Add in the equipment cost and calculate how much per Kwh will cost you over 10 years.

Good luck.
    Oh ok so you guys were pulling the brake because of costs.
    I was assuming the set up i had in mind was unsafe or a fire hazard.
    I know my batteries are my biggest hurdle. Everything else i have budgeted
    for.
    I forgot to mention my pool pump. But thats not going on the system.
    Last edited by bahamasolarnoob; 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM. Reason: .

Leave a comment:

• Naptown
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Ya forgot car salesmen in that category.
    And some solar salesmen

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Ya forgot car salesmen in that category.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    So confused right now. Good input though.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    So confused right now. Good input though.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Power

Yes in the US this is probably so, but here? Last year (2012) I paid between 400-800 US$ monthly and then in December they hit me with an additional $1,200 US$ bill because they had 'underestimated' my meter. My usage is around 800-900 KwH. Then we have spikes and surges that cause all my appliances to break up. I have replaced my tv set 3 times. I am not the only one, everybody is complaining here.
    If you only have a few lights, fans, TV & fridge, WHY is your usage 900 KWH per month.
    With those I only see 300KWH per month (more when the furnace runs). My 21" diagonal
    screen TV uses 27 W. My 5 year old Energy Star fridge 30 KWH per month. Find your
    energy users.

My next step would be some heavy duty power conditioning (line stabilizer) to protect
    any sensitive equipment. Get a generator for long outages, but don't plan to run it
    more than several hours a day.

If you must have a bit of light & TV for short outages, put in 12V LED lights & 12V TV, and
    a 12V battery just big enough for several hours. Keep it charged at all times by a line
    charger (or generator). The battery will last a long time if only exercised for short
    outages. A few panels might avoid running the generator during daylight, if only
    12V stuff is in use. The fridge may determine when the gen must run. Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Real simple you live in the Bahamas right?

I was just there this week working with the Local Cellular Telephone company who had the exact same idea as you are thinking about. There is no place in the Bahamas the POCO cannot get too.

With Import Taxes a good 5 year battery will cost you $2000/Kwh. So in a 5 year replacement cycle means just in battery cost is $2000/1825 Kwh = $1.10/Kwh. Add some more fun to your pain is you have to pay to dispose of batteries in the Bahama's instead of being paid scrap for them. Do the math my friend.

Cybercell in Nassau said F-U , we want traditional Commercial Service with battery and generator back up after they looked at the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied

Why on earth would you want to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity the rest of your life?
    Ok, do you mean 5 to 10 times because of the batteries that need changing after a couple of years?
    Once I got panels, inverter and solar charger I should be good for a couple of years right? They dont need changing do they?

I figured with the rate the PowerCo. charges me I am getting my money back in a year or so.

What are you suggesting in my situation? A smaller emergency set up?

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    STOP NOW.

Taking anything off-grid when you have the grid available is just plain foolish. Why on earth would you want to pay 5 to 10 times more for electricity the rest of your life? That is just plain ignorant.
    Yes in the US this is probably so, but here? Last year (2012) I paid between 400-800 US$ monthly and then in December they hit me with an additional $1,200 US$ bill because they had 'underestimated' my meter. My usage is around 800-900 KwH. Then we have spikes and surges that cause all my appliances to break up. I have replaced my tv set 3 times. I am not the only one, everybody is complaining here.
    I know some people they are completely off the grid and doing quite well. I am planning to buy my equipment every month or every other month.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X