Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Penn 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery - Gp GC2 from carquest -- is this any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Suneagle I was just poking some fun at you.
    And I take those pokes with pride.

I'm not mad at your jabs, I am mad at myself for not coming here for the right info before I leaped off the cliff like some of the others that come here and ask their questions after the fact.

I thank you for your knowledge and humor.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Already did and have regretted it. Wish I had come here first and gotten the straight poop from guys like you. I now know better.
    Suneagle I was just poking some fun at you.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    You would pick the one with the cheap controller like most other knuckleheads do.
    Already did and have regretted it. Wish I had come here first and gotten the straight poop from guys like you. I now know better.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Based on the information that Sunking was trying to provide you, the two systems will provide the same amount of power.

In system 1, the cost for the 200 watt 72 cell panel was probably around $1/watt or $200 plus the $225 for the MPPT controller comes to $425.

Since the PWM controller can only use 67% of the panel wattage you need to purchase 300 watts to get 200 watts of generation. The cost for the 2 x 150 watt panels at $2/watt would come to $600 plus the $79 for the PWM charger equals $679 total.

If I had a choice to pay $425 or $679 for the same energy generating system I think it would be a no brainer which one I would pick.
    You would pick the one with the cheap controller like most other knuckleheads do.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by island406 View Post
    There are some great deals up here, they're 72 cell panels, but that said, with the PWM not allowing me to get the max voltage, but $79 fot the controller vs. about $225 for the MPPT, it may be a wash, but I am likely missing something.
    Thanks again for your response!

Mod note - You want to remember our sponsor sells solar products - links to competitor's sites are not allowed.
    Based on the information that Sunking was trying to provide you, the two systems will provide the same amount of power.

In system 1, the cost for the 200 watt 72 cell panel was probably around $1/watt or $200 plus the $225 for the MPPT controller comes to $425.

Since the PWM controller can only use 67% of the panel wattage you need to purchase 300 watts to get 200 watts of generation. The cost for the 2 x 150 watt panels at $2/watt would come to $600 plus the $79 for the PWM charger equals $679 total.

If I had a choice to pay $425 or $679 for the same energy generating system I think it would be a no brainer which one I would pick.

Leave a comment:

• island406
    replied
    There are some great deals up here, they're 72 cell panels, but that said, with the PWM not allowing me to get the max voltage, but $79 fot the controller vs. about $225 for the MPPT, it may be a wash, but I am likely missing something.
    Thanks again for your response!

Mod note - You want to remember our sponsor sells solar products - links to competitor's sites are not allowed.
    Last edited by russ; 05-27-2013, 11:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    I bought 2 100 watt panels and 2 Morningstar SunSaver SS-20L-12V 20A, Each panel will go thru a controller and then to a bank of 4 6v batteries. The thought is that if something fails in January we will not arrive in July to find dead batteries.

I chose the PWM over MPPT for price, based upon your earlier posts it sounds like I made a mistake, did I?
    I sure think so. Magic happens around 200 watts. You PWM controller turns your 100 watt panel into 66 watts, so with two of them around 125 watts. Here is the deal. I bet those 100 watt panels are 36 cell battery panels right? Go price theses two systems and tell me which is less expensive. The both produce the exact same amount of power each day

System 1

Panel wattage = 200 watts using GRID TIED 72 Cell Panels.
    MPPT 15 AMP Controller like Morningstar Sunsaver 15 Amp MPPT
    12 volt battery @ 225 AH

System 2

Panel Wattage = 300 watts using 36 Cell battery panels. You will have to buy 2-150 watt battery panels to make 300 watts.
    PWM 15 amp controller
    12 volt 15 amp controller

Once you price that out you will see what I mean by Magic. MPPT is less expensive.

And do you see any problems with setting up the two panels separately into the single battery bank?
    No problem

Leave a comment:

• island406
    replied
    Just for fun

Sunking,
    I love your approach! So Island 406 is on a lake in northern Ontario, no grid. We go there during july and August, winter entails a 10 mile xc ski hike from where we park the car visits are rare for us! After 11 years using two 30watt panels we arrive last year to find one panel had failed. We are upgrading as we have added a dish for internet and wifi.

I bought 2 100 watt panels and 2 Morningstar SunSaver SS-20L-12V 20A, Each panel will go thru a controller and then to a bank of 4 6v batteries. The thought is that if something fails in January we will not arrive in July to find dead batteries. The 20A controllers will allow us to add more panels if we decide to begin using electricity for more than telecom.

I chose the PWM over MPPT for price, based upon your earlier posts it sounds like I made a mistake, did I? And do you see any problems with setting up the two panels separately into the single battery bank?

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by solarIdiot View Post
    That's good! Looks like you mostly get thunderstorms up there huh.
    Yeah lots of it with hail.

Leave a comment:

• solarIdiot
    replied
    South and West of my location. They were in Hood county, I am in Collin county
    That's good! Looks like you mostly get thunderstorms up there huh.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by solarIdiot View Post
    I saw where TX had some nasty tornado's this week. Do you see many of those?
    South and West of my location. They were in Hood county, I am in Collin county

Leave a comment:

• solarIdiot
    replied
    Please keep us posted and good luck. Hope to meet you some day in Bahamas somewhere someday. It has to be tough living right smack in the middle of Hurricane Alley.
    I saw where TX had some nasty tornado's this week. Do you see many of those?

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob View Post
    Well I came here for advise (..and the comedy relief) and it all makes sense. I'll update over the coming months how things are progressing.
    Please keep us posted and good luck. Hope to meet you some day in Bahamas somewhere someday. It has to be tough living right smack in the middle of Hurricane Alley.

Leave a comment:

• bahamasolarnoob
    replied
    Well I came here for advise (..and the comedy relief) and it all makes sense. I'll update over the coming months how things are progressing.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by bahamasolarnoob View Post
    I know. I'm with you all the way, but not in a gay way. After re-reading everything, I am scaling down my project. I am not going completely solar. I realize that. I did some cost analysis: I am looking into replacing my energy hog poolpump with a more energy efficient 3 speed poolpump, I am replacing my giant bottom freezer energy hog 8.3 amp fridge
    You are on the right track and made a smart decision.

You would be surprised how many folks who come here are not capable of doing cost analysis. They only go with warm fuzzy green feelings and hype. There is a gentleman on here right now wanting to take his house lighting off grid to save money. He does not want to hear how much it really cost.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X