Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power factor correction? Iota DLS-27-40/IQ

Good morning Everyone,

I just discovered that I didn't get the charger that I thought I was going to.

Apparently the Iota DLS-27-40/IQ4 comes in two versions. One with PFC and one without.

I wanted PFC to optimize charging from my generator so (I thought) I ordered one. The one I received is not PFC.

It's too late to return it so my options are to keep it, and do without PFC, or sell it as used on eBay and order the right one.

The upgrade cost is enough to make me squirm.

Can anyone tell me how much difference I would likely see between the two?

I have a 3000 watt generator to back up my solar and charge on cloudy days.

I understand that the PFC unit will draw less from the generator. How much less?

​​​
    Last edited by PNW_Steve; 02-17-2019, 05:54 PM.

Anyone???????

Comment

Howdy Steve,

I have no clue, I think you might need mike to chime in, be patient he will no doubt pop in at some stage, cheers.

Comment

Just wonderin', and not a knock, did you order wrong ?

Absolutely nor return policy, or conditions ?

I'm assuming you've called and pleaded your case ?

Everything's negotiable.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
          Anyone???????
          It depends on how poor the power factor is. Most generators are rated to deliver full rated "power", i.e. product of voltage and current, into an overall load with PF of .8 or better.
          A low power factor means that the load is drawing more current than would be needed to deliver the same power into a resistive load.
          The prime mover (engine) of the generator is only being called on to deliver the actual power output (plus inefficiency losses) while the wires inside the generator portion have to deliver the actual current demanded by the load. A power factor of .6, coupled with an equal magnitude load with PF of 1 would give you an overall power factor of .8, within the generator rating.
          A more serious concern is just what the nature of the low power factor is. A normal AC motor has what is called an inductive power factor, where the sine wave current drawn lags behind the applied sine wave voltage by an angle less than 90 degrees. Generators and their voltage regulators can tolerate a fairly poor inductive PF as long as they are not being called upon to deliver full rated power.
          A rectifier/capacitor input DC supply, on the other hand, may exhibit both a capacitive power factor (in which the sine wave current leads the sine wave voltage by up to 90 degrees) and a distortion power factor, caused by the rectifiers only conducting in a narrow time range around the voltage peak. Both capacitive low PF and distortion low PF have the potential to cause stability and voltage regulation problems with many generators, especially when there is no other load. In this respect an inverter type generator will probably do better than a pure mechanical generator.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I have a 3000 watt generator to back up my solar and charge on cloudy days.

I understand that the PFC unit will draw less from the generator. How much less?
            That sucks. Long term, you want the PFC corrected controller. I used my kill-a-watt to measure mine years ago, 0.6 I believe. It's a dead simple rectifier and switcher, and really lousy.

And nowadays, most generators have poor ability to handle bad PF, and so my 2015 Robin-Subaru-Hatz 3Kw genset can barely run a 1/2hp pump motor, because of it's PF. The waveform with any other appreciable load, starts to go bad and the pump protector kicks the pump off-line. PF does some really bad things to small generators

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I am currently using a Honda EU3000i generator.

Yes, apparently I ordered the wrong one. My fault.

Any ideas of power factor of more modern switching chargers compared to the old transformer/rectifier chargers?

Comment

The 100A charger in my XW is rated at 0.9PF
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Any info or thoughts regarding the Iota?

Given that I will, at times, be changing from generator PF becomes more of a concern.

Comment

The specifications of the Honda 3000i should mention something about its tolerance of low PF loads. You may have to look for an engineering document instead of just the marketing oriented synopsis.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I should probably find out what the power factor of the one that I have in hand. I was hopeful that someone here may have had first hand experience with the Iota.

I will reach out to tech support and see if they have the info.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X