Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar accessories for Chicken Coop

TOTAL Newbie here!

I am working on created an *cough cough* over the top Chicken Coop as a new hobby.

What I'd like to accomplish is a solar auto coop door (easy to buy premade but pricey!)
    2 Solar panel cameras -Looking at Wyze Cameras (5watts seems like usage) ** 110ac/240dc power adapter input, 5v/1000mA output for adapter)
    Small 12" or smaller "desktop" Fan for inside coop (hot SE Georgia)
    1 water pump/oxygenator for potential rain barrel that would water chickens--- don't want it to be stagnant.

So as I work towards designing this system, I am trying to figure out the necessary parts and pieces.. ideally It'd tie all to 1-2 panels depending on the wattage they do, but I feel like the coop door is best on it's own stand alone system..

Could anyone assist in better walking me thru how to design this as effectively as possible? I thought maybe 1 100W panel, but then I'm not sure that's enough--- and have a VERY basic understanding of the math involved in all this.

Would love to brainstorm with someone more knowledgeable than myself in this regard.
    Last edited by msmeg26; 02-05-2019, 06:43 PM.

I think you have a type-o there. Is it supposed to be AC for both? '...110ac/240dc...'

You will need to define what the operating volts, amps or wattage of the fan and water pump.

You will need to determine how often and for how long these devices be operating.

You're going to need an inverter also. One you have your loads you can then select the appropriate battery, solar panel and inverter.

Comment

The camera is listed 110-240 (ac/dc) since reading up more, I assume 110 is input, 240 output.

i found my load to be 324wh and overall needing a battery or several batteries to be 179aH.

i found calculators on Alt Es website that helped but the high aH batteries now seem to make this project cost prohibitive. Unless the calculator results are overkill??

I know the inverters genrally have USB ports..which I could run the fan from..but not sure how this plays into the overall watts and load of the "system" ...thoughts???

Comment

How long will these devices be power in a 24hr day?

One 12V-100Ah battery at 50% DOD has 600Wh. Based on your 324Wh load (this means 324 watt consumed in one hours time) this battery will provide you with ~2hr of run time. I think I did that right...someone should check my work.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett View Post
          How long will these devices be power in a 24hr day?

One 12V-100Ah battery at 50% DOD has 600Wh. Based on your 324Wh load (this means 324 watt consumed in one hours time) this battery will provide you with ~2hr of run time. I think I did that right...someone should check my work.
          324 was WH for the day. Devices would be running 24/7 (Camera and pump) at least.

Comment

So you have to have enough solar charge to power loads AND recharge a low battery
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
            X