Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return of "Running a pond aereator 24/7"

Hello there, and thank you for reading my question:
    I am using a 12v, .3A air pump (Marine Metal B15 aeration System Power Bubbles 12V DC ) to aerate a 300 Gallon fish pond. I'd like to run the air pump 24/7 unattended (not abandoned, just not having to turn anything on every nightfall). Per specs recommended by Sunking I put together these three:
    WindyNation 60 Watt 60W Polycrystalline 12V 12 Volt Solar Pane ($160 on Amazon)l,
    Genasun GV-10-Pb-12V, 10 Amps 12 Volts 140 Watts MPPT Solar Charge Controller for Lead Acid as a controller/charger ($100 on Amazon) and
    Chrome Battery 12V 55Ah High Capacity Deep Cycle Battery for Solar Wind Panels (Sunking recommended 40Ah but I could not find that particular size) ($120 on Amazon)
    My question is, should this work, and are these quality components that will hold up in the South Florida sun/humidity ?

Only tweak I would make is the battery. Gel batteries are not a good choice for solar and you will regret buying one. Not only do they cost a lot, they do not last long and very fragile. As for size you did just fine, 40 to 60 AH will work just fine on a 60 watt panel.

For a battery search around for a generic number of UB-12500. They are commonly used for wheel chairs and are 12 volt 50 AH. AGM is good, Gel is BAD, and FLA is perfect.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
    X