floating + breaking: would this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floating + breaking: would this work?

my system is 50v. I'd like to float it .I'd also like to have an on off switch for the panels and another for the batteries.
    to float it i need to put a fuse on each polarity at both sources, panels and batteries, correct?
    could I combine both functions and connect a double pole breaker with the respective amps at each source?

would that work or is it a stupid idea?

never mind. even if it would work these things are too expensive.

I would have deleted the post but I can't figure out how...

Comment

Originally posted by manacabana View Post
      to float it i need to put a fuse on each polarity at both sources, panels and batteries, correct?
      No sir, just the batteries. No over current protection is required on the panel circuits unless you have more than 2 parallel strings.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

No sir, just the batteries. No over current protection is required on the panel circuits unless you have more than 2 parallel strings.
        aha. thank you much.

Comment

Also don't forget that in many instances, the charge controller needs to see the battery attached first, and the panels last.

If you do it backwards (panels first, batteries last), the controller, not knowing the difference between a zero-volt battery and no battery at all, may go into a non-efficient safety mode.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
            Also don't forget that in many instances, the charge controller needs to see the battery attached first, and the panels last.

If you do it backwards (panels first, batteries last), the controller, not knowing the difference between a zero-volt battery and no battery at all, may go into a non-efficient safety mode.
            yup. thank you! I've seen seen so many warnings about this I don't think I'll ever forget. but I'm making myself a big sign anyway. just in case...

Comment

Square D 2 circuit box.JPGSomething like this helps to prevent order of connection problems. Sorry about the fuzzy image.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                Something like this helps to prevent order of connection problems. Sorry about the fuzzy image.
                the sign I have in mind has a lot of explanation points and red letters. maybe a picture of a burning shed. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

stupid question I'm sure: what happens when the battery's fuses blow and the controller is left with just the panels connected?

Comment

Working...
                  X