Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microscopic off grid system

hello all

i am brand new to this great forum. this is my first post.

i am about ready to start connecting all the pieces on my first solar system. i had a couple of questions so i started reading things online. all i got was more questions and a growing fear. it is a black hole. if i keep reading i'll never do anything. i'd like your input on my planned setup. and the one thing that has caused my brain to melt. i'll leave that to the very end. this will be long please bear with me.

P1, P2 - 100W panels wired in series. (each panel has an ISC of 6.45. VOC 20v)
    F1 - in-line MC4 fuse holder with 10A fuse
    SW1 - SPST BEP Battery Switch (i want to be able to cut off the power from the panels without having to remove the fuse or pull out the cables from the CC. do i have to worry about an arc? Sunking you talked about putting a SPST switch across the panels' inputs. did you mean a SPDT? not sure how i'd wire a SPST like that...)

CC - Victron 15/50 MPPT charge controller with built in Bluetooth

B1, B2 - 100Ah AGM batteries
    F2 - ANL 20A
    SW2 - SPST BEP Battery Switch

LC - Blue Sea Systems ST blade battery terminal mount 4 circuit fuse block kit mounted on Stainless Steel Single Stud Power and Ground Junction Block. i don't want to mount the fuse block on the batteries so i'm attaching it to the Junction Box (which i'll mount on a wood shelf) and connecting the CC load terminals to it. Good?

C1 - 150W $10 portable car inverter for charging phone, 2Ah cordless tool battery, camping shower, headlamp. i charge my phone once a week. never charge more than one thing at once. it has an on/off switch.

C2 - eventually will be a microscopic DC fridge.

C3 - maybe an LED light bulb for the shed.

the panels are mounted on a DIY wood structure facing south. 4 feet off the ground. at the winter angle for this region (20 degrees). this structure leans against a microscopic (6x4) shed. the wall it leans against is sided with metal roof panels. the panels' wires come into the shed through the fire blocking on the wall's framing. they don't touch the metal siding only wood. (the siding only goes up to the top plate).

now for the brain melting question: grounding. (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) here's what i think i know after reading tons of stuff on this forum. specially posts by Sunking:

my system is small enough that i don't need to ground it but i should float it.

questions about that, though:

Sunking says to put an OCPD at each source on both polarities. so, i'd add a fuse to the negative of the solar panels and another fuse to the negative at the batteries. is that correct? or just the batteries would be enough?

but we are talking about an electrical ground, right? do i still need to provide the system with a mechanical ground? meaning do i need to connect the panels' frames (and maybe the shed's metal siding?) to a rod that's stuck 8 feet in the ground? if yes, what if i can't manage to pound a rod 8 feet into the rocky hill the shed is on?

one last thing: should i get a multi-meter? is there anything i should do on a regular basis to make sure all is well? or is it enough to just look at the monitors on the bluetooth app?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by manacabana; 09-18-2018, 08:25 PM.

Absolutely get a multi-meter. Even better is one that has a Clamp-On DC ampmeter

Vendors are very tricky in their ads, but I think this one really works with DC amps
    https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Ranging-...on+meter&psc=1
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Absolutely get a multi-meter. Even better is one that has a Clamp-On DC ampmeter

Vendors are very tricky in their ads, but I think this one really works with DC amps
      https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Ranging-...on+meter&psc=1
      There are a lot of these DC clamp meters around now, I have had one for a couple of years, different brand but same thing.

They are not expensive and as such one can not expect Fluke type calibrated accuracy, but they give you quick and simple data that is close enough for solar and automotive work.

I wouldnt be without one in my toolbox.

Comment

thanks guys. I'll get one.

Comment

Working...
        X