• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by MambaJack
    SunKing, Thanks for the info.
    You are welcome and glad to help, sometimes it just takes an attitude adjustment upside the head with a 2 x 4 to get you to see the light. There is more cost savings associated with higher voltages other than controllers. There are a couple of high end controllers that can do 100 amps or 1200 watts @ 12 volts, but why? You have no room for growth. There is also one more big advantage to higher voltages other than lower cost to consider like your life safety. With higher currents comes higher risk to fire danger, and inefficiency. For you and your power levels 24 volts is smart money.

The only downside I can think of that applies to you is 12 volts is the domain of RV's and all the 12 volt gadgets they make for RV's. Having said that though most of what I see made for 12 volt RV's quality varies from junk to OK, poor efficiency, and cost a lot more. Easy work around though using 120 volt AC gadgets and gizmos like you use at home. Good news is they make a lot of the gizmos in 24 volts like very high efficiency refrigerators. With exception of Microwave, and Induction Hot Plate, do not use electric for any heating or cooking purposes. Even using MW and Induction is not a great idea on solar, only for things like heating up water quickly for coffee, or a quick reheat, just the most efficient way to use electricity for heating food. Use LPG for all heating and even a generator.

Good luck.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• MambaJack
      • Sep 2018

Sweet, I like the idea of it being safer. Is there a reason to move on up to a 48v bank instead of stopping at 24?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

What battery voltage you use has more to do with panel wattage, economics, and future growth. Example if you are running 1000 watts of panels, technically you could run 12 volts with an 80-amp controller if you are trapped in a 12 volt box, or you could run 24 volts with a lot less expensive 40 amp controller. My advice is to run battery voltage at:

12 volt with 500 watts or less
        24 volts 500 to 1500 watts
        48 volts 1500+
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...