Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bclinton
    • Aug 2018

Motorhome solar adventure started!

Hi folks....thanks for letting me join! I am a new MH owner and have begun work on installing solar to my new camper. I have a Georgetown GT3 31B3 2017. So far I have installed a victron battery monitor and an inverter as well as an auto transfer switch to power my non GFI outlets while we are driving. My next step is to find a cable entry point for my roof which I think I have a good spot above my kitchen area. I am now looking at where to install the panels themselves. I want to start with 2 and am curious as to options on mounting them as well as how I should drill into my roof. I received some diagrams from the manufacturer that look like they show my truss locations. Can I use a regular stud finder to locate them? Once I find them are there any best practices that I need to follow. It seems driving down the road at 65 that the strain on the panels would be pretty big. Anyways, any advise is much appreciated.
  • OldSmokey
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bclinton
    Hi folks....thanks for letting me join! I am a new MH owner and have begun work on installing solar to my new camper. I have a Georgetown GT3 31B3 2017. So far I have installed a victron battery monitor and an inverter as well as an auto transfer switch to power my non GFI outlets while we are driving. My next step is to find a cable entry point for my roof which I think I have a good spot above my kitchen area. I am now looking at where to install the panels themselves. I want to start with 2 and am curious as to options on mounting them as well as how I should drill into my roof. I received some diagrams from the manufacturer that look like they show my truss locations. Can I use a regular stud finder to locate them? Once I find them are there any best practices that I need to follow. It seems driving down the road at 65 that the strain on the panels would be pretty big. Anyways, any advise is much appreciated.

I suggest you head over to rvforum.com there are many other rv'ers who have done this.

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

Many people run the cable down the refer vent.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bclinton
        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor
        I would do that but my fridge is in the slide out.....no roof vent...

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by littleharbor
          But if it's a propane, and it's the hot vent, wires might have some insulation problems.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250

But if it's a propane, and it's the hot vent, wires might have some insulation problems.
            The heat is coming from a candle sized flame. It's not like a furnace vent.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...