Trojan j185p-ac vs pair 105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trojan j185p-ac vs pair 105

Probably a dumb question (a couple of them). It looks like the j185p is more money than a pair of 105 and has fewer cycles than a pair of 105. In what application would the j185 be preferable?

I'm about to buy a pair of crown 235 for my setup and saw a j185p for sale used for $100. Would you EVER buy a used battery? Is there any way to estimate how many cycles it's been through/has left?

Originally posted by lennon_68 View Post
    Probably a dumb question (a couple of them). It looks like the j185p is more money than a pair of 105 and has fewer cycles than a pair of 105. In what application would the j185 be preferable?
    Not quite sure where you got lower cycle life from because the AC series and GC series are the same guts inside, carry the same warranty and cycle life. OK putting that aside AC series from Trojan just means the battery jar (case it is in) is formatted for Floor Cleaner Machines and Lifts. GC is formatted for Golf Carts like the T-105. The only real difference is capacity and answers your question about price to some degree. The j185p-ac is a 12 volt 205 AH battery making it 2.46 Kwh of capacity. A T-105 is 6 volts @ 225 AH capacity or 1.35 Kwh of capacity.

Golf carts use a specific size cases, Floor Machines and Lifts use specific size cases. Standardized sizes so many manufactures can compete. If you need a BCI GC group format there are a dozen different manufactures that make the case size of L = 10.3, W = 7.1 H = 10.75.

[QUOTE=lennon_68;n380748I'm about to buy a pair of crown 235 for my setup and saw a j185p for sale used for $100. Would you EVER buy a used battery?[/QUOTE]Nope, you wanna buy used condoms?

Is there any way to estimate how many cycles it's been through/has left?
    Nope, just like a used condom you could care less how many cycles it took. One cycle was one too many...

There is another decent manufacture out there you might take a look at. Better than Crown and about as good as Trojan called US Battery.
    Last edited by Sunking; 07-18-2018, 01:27 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'm probably being dumb again. I thought a pair of Trojan 105 would give me ~450 Ah and saw that the j185 was rated for ~200 Ah. Based on what you said above I'm thinking something was flawed in my logic there and the pair of Trojans actually give me ~225 Ah at 12V That was the part that was throwing me off

I'm still thinking about building a solar generator with the panels and other stuff I picked up. If I DID put this on my RV what are the odds that the converter/charger is ancient and will just fry my fancy new batteries? I have a '94 Gulfstream Conquest 102.

Comment

I thought a pair of Trojan 105 would give me ~450 Ah and saw that the j185 was rated for ~200 Ah. Based on what you said above I'm thinking something was flawed in my logic there and the pair of Trojans actually give me ~225 Ah at 12V That was the part that was throwing me off
        Yep your logic was flawed. With respect to batteries Series -Parallel Law is:
        • Series Voltage and Power add, AH remain constant.
        • Parallel AH and Power adds, Voltage remains constant. Example Example 2 Trojan T-105 in parallel is 6 volts @ 450 AH.

Take note on Power, more exact Watt Hour Capacity, equal either way on paper and theory
        Battery Watt Hour Capacity = Battery Voltage x Amp Hours.

Example a T-105 is 6 volts x 225 AH = 1350 watt hours. So no matter how you configure say 2 x T-105 in either series or parallel works out too 2700 watt hours.
        12 volts x 225 AH = 2700 = 2700 watt hours.
        6 volts x 450 AH = 2700 watt hours.

Get your head wrapped around that and everything makes sense.

Armed with that you can now do a cost comparison. Bottom line is how many dollars are you paying per watt hour, $/Wh so let's say a Trojan T-105 cost $150 each, what is your watt hour price?

$/wh = $150 / 1350 wh = $0.111/wh or $111/Kwh.

Be careful what Watt Hour rating you use. Take note on the Discharge Rates in Hours. A T-105 is rated @:

225 AH @ the 20 Hour Discharge rate, 185 AH @ 5 Hours and 250 AH @ 100 Hours. Compare at the 20 hour discharge rate. Apples to Apples.

I'm still thinking about building a solar generator with the panels and other stuff I picked up. If I DID put this on my RV what are the odds that the converter/charger is ancient and will just fry my fancy new batteries? I have a '94 Gulfstream Conquest 102.
        May not be ideal voltages, but you can make it work. For one thing make sure you use an Electronic Battery Isolator to charge the batteries with the engine alternator. You want to charge Trojan Batteries to 14.4 to 14.8 volts.
        Last edited by Sunking; 07-18-2018, 07:22 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X