Need 110V 8A from solar got parts & pieces...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apostman
    • Jun 2018

Need 110V 8A from solar got parts & pieces...

In Texas if you dont have air conditioning you're not the poacher, you're the poachee!

Not kidding I have seen air conditioners in tents.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

So what are you asking?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• apostman
      • Jun 2018

Thanks for replying Sunking. I have a old motorhome and I am researching using Solar PV. I stated my electricity need. I already have a 3600 watt pure sine wave inverter in the generator bay. I was wondering if it can be powered by solar panels / over batteries? I can get a good deal on 4 group 27 160 amp hours.
      Last edited by apostman; 06-05-2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by apostman
        I stated my electricity need..
        What thread did you state your needs? Certainly not this one.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Thanks for replying Sunking. I have a old motorhome and I am researching using Solar PV. I stated my electricity need. I already have a 3600 watt pure sine wave inverter in the generator bay. I was wondering if it can be powered by solar panels / over batteries? I can get a good deal on 4 group 27 160 amp hours.
          OK so let's assume that's a 24 hour need. That's 21kwhr a day. So that's at least 126kwhr of batteries (3 day run time to 50%.) A T105 golf cart battery gives you about 1.3kwhr, so you are looking at 96 T105's to store that much energy. That's about three tons of batteries, so I hope you have a big RV.

Now let's look at solar. You are going to need a lot. I'll assume you want to go with the minimum possible (C/13 rate) which means you'll need about 12 kilowatts of solar. In most locations you'll need a lot more to keep up with your load.

Comment

• JSchnee21
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2017

Time for a built (e.g. Onan) in diesel generator or a quiet portable from Honda or Yamaha. I've not seen an RV yet with enough surface area to make solar practical for any appreciable load -- let alone an air conditioner. Coupled with the fact that most RV'ers prefer shaded campsites, solar seems completely pointless. I guess if you live in your RV, in a single remote location, you might build a ground mount solar array, in a field, proximal to your campsite.

Comment

• apostman
              • Jun 2018

Ty jflorey2, wow all that for the smallest portable air conditioner. 110 V 6,000 btu 6 amp + 2 amp for peak wattage and charger, about 8 hours.

Comment

• apostman
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by JSchnee21
                Time for a built (e.g. Onan) in diesel generator or a quiet portable from Honda or Yamaha. I've not seen an RV yet with enough surface area to make solar practical for any appreciable load -- let alone an air conditioner. Coupled with the fact that most RV'ers prefer shaded campsites, solar seems completely pointless. I guess if you live in your RV, in a single remote location, you might build a ground mount solar array, in a field, proximal to your campsite.
                I see your point. At least I wont be falling for the scams for house solar, for the house I am selling.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Ty jflorey2, wow all that for the smallest portable air conditioner. 110 V 6,000 btu 6 amp + 2 amp for peak wattage and charger, about 8 hours.
                  A 6000 BTU window shaker will have an SEER of 10 and use 800 watts x 8 hours = 6400 Watt Hours. That requires a 32 Kwh battery or roughly 32 of those cheap batteries you have access too that will be lucky to last one year. In TX 6400 watt hours cost less than 60-cents per day to buy.

To charge those 32 cheap batteries will take 3250 watt solar panels and a 65 amp MPPT charge controller operating into a 48 volt battery. If you are dumb enough to operate at 12 volts will require 3 very expensive 80 amp MPPT charge controllers and a hundred pounds of copper.

Assuming those cheap batteries cost $100 each the system to run the window shaker will cost you roughly $9000 to generate 60-cents/day. $4.20/week, $17.00/month, $200/year. Assuming the batteries could last 2 years which they have no chance of doing so, battery cost alone is $3200 / 4600 Kwh brings your Kwh cost to $0.70/Kwh. In TX a Kwh sells for 7 to 8-cents per Kwh so you wil be in battery cost alone paying 10 times more than necessary.

So IMO go for it. Reality bites.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• apostman
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Sunking

So IMO go for it. Reality bites.
                    The only bite so far is for those batteries. The MH had a panel roof flat mount for charging (4) batteries when I bought it. It was installed by a solar dealer in California. It did charge the chassis battery really well, but havent put the four batteries in yet. I am remodeling inside. The idea of solar came up when a friend in McAllen gave me two new Trini <sp> panels free. He is a generac dealer and his customer changed his mind on configuration (gate opener). The customer told him to take them.

We (texas) have a grid management company called ercot. Last month there was a very low key announcement about the number of outages last summer. 3 times the grid almost failed. At least I did research and kept my money in my pocket.
                    Last edited by apostman; 06-05-2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2
                      OK so let's assume that's a 24 hour need. That's 21kwhr a day. So that's at least 126kwhr of batteries (3 day run time to 50%.) A T105 golf cart battery gives you about 1.3kwhr, so you are looking at 96 T105's to store that much energy. That's about three tons of batteries, so I hope you have a big RV.

Now let's look at solar. You are going to need a lot. I'll assume you want to go with the minimum possible (C/13 rate) which means you'll need about 12 kilowatts of solar. In most locations you'll need a lot more to keep up with your load.
                      If use the LiFePO4 battery, it do not need three tons of batteries.

Comment

• jflorey2
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Monica998

True. A LiFePO4 battery will be lighter. 126kwhr of such batteries (say, the SimpliPhi battery, which is a good one) will weigh about one and a half tons and cost $122,000.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Monica998

But you need 2 tons of money to buy it.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...