Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Voltage vs High voltage panels. Does it make a worthwhile difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Voltage vs High voltage panels. Does it make a worthwhile difference?

I have read with higher voltage panels the mppt controller starts producing power earlier in morning & until later in afternoon over low voltage.

What kind of difference is there with 17Vmp vs 30V or 60V? In my case the direct sunlight hours is at best 3+hours thanks to tress & mountains.

All outdoor camping panels I see are 17Vmp.

Only difference is MONEY. Battery panels cost a lot more MONEY. Panels are Current Sources, not Voltage. Panels will deliver full voltage with a flashlight, but no current. Only other difference is the number of cells. 12 volt battery panels have 36 cells, and GT panels have more than 36 cells. All the same cells.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Panels with higher voltage output ratings are usually less expensive and a better deal then the 17volt ones. Unless you have space or weight restrictions stay away from those over priced camping panels.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Panels with higher voltage output ratings are usually less expensive and a better deal then the 17volt ones. Unless you have space or weight restrictions stay away from those over priced camping panels.
        The camping ones fold up well, that is the only appeal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Only difference is MONEY. Battery panels cost a lot more MONEY. Panels are Current Sources, not Voltage. Panels will deliver full voltage with a flashlight, but no current. Only other difference is the number of cells. 12 volt battery panels have 36 cells, and GT panels have more than 36 cells. All the same cells.
          Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post

The camping ones fold up well, that is the only appeal for me.
            So you need to weigh the cost of those folding panels vs the amount of wattage they can generate to charge your battery. If portability is important then a folding panel may be better but if you need a lot of wattage a bigger panel may be what you need.

I built a small solar / battery system using a "folding" 80 watt panel. It is relatively easy to transport but I should have gone with a higher wattage one so my 65Ah battery was properly charged. I learned the hard way and I am trying to help you make a good decision on what you really should get.

Here are a couple of pictures of my "portable" system.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

So you need to weigh the cost of those folding panels vs the amount of wattage they can generate to charge your battery. If portability is important then a folding panel may be better but if you need a lot of wattage a bigger panel may be what you need.

I built a small solar / battery system using a "folding" 80 watt panel. It is relatively easy to transport but I should have gone with a higher wattage one so my 65Ah battery was properly charged. I learned the hard way and I am trying to help you make a good decision on what you really should get.

Here are a couple of pictures of my "portable" system.

Great setup!

I'm currently trying to decide on either 250W folding panel that folds to the size of a large laptop but require a bit of assembly. or Grid tied 300W with my own legs-much cheaper. For a camper trailer setup the big single panels are better as easier to store on trailer & quicker to setup & change direction. But for a 4wd on it's own they are simple too big.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post

Great setup!

I'm currently trying to decide on either 250W folding panel that folds to the size of a large laptop but require a bit of assembly. or Grid tied 300W with my own legs-much cheaper. For a camper trailer setup the big single panels are better as easier to store on trailer & quicker to setup & change direction. But for a 4wd on it's own they are simple too big.
                I agree that while the larger panels are cheaper per watt the smaller ones are easier to store.

The other system I build was for my Class A RV and it was designed to include up to 5 panels around 80 to 90 watts each. Each panel was attached to a wood base yet could be folded and put into a storage bin of the RV. The cost was crazy high and now I wished I did it differently but having the 36 cell panels made it easy to set up and store quickly.

Here is are a couple of pictures of my "larger system" although I would not recommend anyone building it using the parts I did.

Comment

Working...
                X