Solar controller flashing charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar controller flashing charged

I have a question, for the experts. I know its not the best way but i have 2 rc meters connected to my batteries. Starting at 1.276 sg at night I use approximately 33% 840 watt hrs from my 2500 watt hr (2 6 volt gc batts.) With no load on the next day at 12:30 at only 550 watt hrs my controllers flashing charged?? Sg shows 1.258 only about 90% is this normal.

So what is the question?

The problem is you are using Bulk/Absorb/Float mentality the CC manufactures built into controller. You set the voltages and think life is good. Problem is it does not work like you have discovered. That algorithm does snot work with solar. It will leave your batteries chronically undercharged.

Fix is super easy, turn your controller into a CC/CV charger. Start by setting Bulk/Absorb/Float = 2.45 vpc. Then at the end of the day measure specific gravity. If low raise voltage, if high lower voltage. Repeat until you find the right voltage. Do not relax because as the season change, so will your voltage set point.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks sunking. I'm currently at 2.43 vpc. I take that winter I'll need to raise it even more. That's why my first batterys lasted only a year.

Comment

Working...
      X