Bulk charging Frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulk charging Frequency

I installed a new Trojan 27TMX 12 volt battery. The specs call for a bulk charge voltage of 14.82. My system bulk charges at 14.4 so I asked Trojan Tech Support if it would be appropriate to bulk charge using the DC charging port on my Honda generator then switching to normal saturation at 14.82. Tech said that was entirely proper and if the specific gravity indicated a low charge to take the voltage beyond bulk to equalize at 16.25 volts.

I then asked how often the high bulk charge should take place since my usual charging is with solar. He said 'technically' every time. I figure he should not tell me otherwise.

Since that is not going to happen, I'm wondering what a more convenient timing might be without completely ruining the battery such as every month or so.

Do you have solar or only the generator ?

Honda generators only have about a 5A 12V charger output, just for a small battery. It would take hours & hours to charge from the DC port usually.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi, my name is Star Burns and I have turned to many different sites to learn more about solar but it seems to send me in circles. I am new to this site as well and still learning. Could you please help me and point me in the right direction as to the right solar system I need? I don't know if you can message me back

Mod note, MSGS are disabled here because of problems, it's all out in the open, no backchannels
      Last edited by Mike90250; 04-16-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

How large is your solar array?

I have Trojans and they need to be charged at 2.5v /cell for the absorb setting. I assume your charger is not charging in bulk at constant voltage but rather constant current and that it only switches over to absorb mode when it reaches your bulk voltage setting - about 80-90% of battery SOC - and then finishes off at your bulk voltage setting using constant voltage and decreasing current.

In solar charging you have 2 options, Time and Bulk/Absorb Voltage (depending no what your CC calls it and what you can configure). Current should not exceed the max charge current for your battery (at least not for long). Since you cannot add to time in solar charging - there are only a certain number of solar charge hours in a day, if you do not reach full SG charge you have to increase the chargers voltage setting to a higher voltage - Either the Bulk, Absorb, or the change over setting from bulk to absorb depending on the CC's setting parameters. Are you able to adjust the charge volt parameters of your solar charge controller? If you are not reaching a full SG charge, you need to bump up that charge voltage.
        Last edited by Matrix; 04-16-2018, 09:04 PM.
        285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

I have both solar and generator. My generator DC outlet is 8 amps at volts approaching 14.

As I wrote the above, it occurred to me that the voltage needs to be higher from the generator. I guess I'll have to get a new charger after all. The charger I've had for years is toast.

That still leaves my question plus maybe a suggested charger.

Comment

We live in west Texas and is sunny most days. in a 24 hour period the watts used is split into 12 and 12 hours. In the first 12 hours I will be using 2000 watts, and the remaining 12 hours I will use 1000 watts.

Comment

How knowledgeable are you when it comes to solar power and watts needed?

Comment

I need a little assistance or info about what size solar kit I need. Could anyone assist me?

Comment

I cannot currently adjust charging parameters. I gather some controllers are adjustable but not my current one. The power center which charges the battery when on shore power or generator also has fixed parameters. That is not going to change so my original question is still my question. How often is it acceptable to reach full charge voltage?

Comment

I am new to this whole solar stuff and I'm trying to learn. I have a question about what size solar kit and/or generator I am needing. Could anyone help? You can e-mail me at xxxxxxx. Thank you.

MOD Note: posting your email address is not recommended due to the chance of getting spam mail.
                    Last edited by SunEagle; 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

As often as possible as flood acid batteries do not like to sit in a partially charged state.
                      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

Working...
                      X